• Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
infuse01 says

Hi everybody,

since there are some new dev’s here, and we can probably (possibly) expect some improvements on various parts I thought to open up a thread where we collect improvements for the place of our discussions: Our forums.

For now I’m going to start with some of my ideas and some which I’ve collected the past months in various other threads:

• Nested Comments: not exactly like item comments, visually more appealing
  • Dedicated Author Category Sometimes there is a topic which has to be discussed by authors only; this can be everything. Many Authors (incl. me) wish for a section for authors only.
  • Improved Thread Subscription: Not only by e-mail but also by notifications(?)
  • Improved Forum Search: this includes an advanced search with category and time span filtering.
  • Usability Improvements:
    • Move “Report” and “Flag for Staff Reply” in a dedicated part of each comment. Maybe something like on Social Networks where a “X” appears on mouseover/hover and clicking on it will bring up a small menu.
    • Remove the “Post a Reply” Button from Single-Thread-View above the search – makes not much sense there.
    • Rename the “Post Reply” Button below the “Reply-Form” into something like “Submit” for better and faster distinction.
    • Rework Spacings on the boxes. They are not aligned very well, see here or here
    • Put the “Refresher” below the form into a “collapsable”. Clicking on “refresher” will bring it up = it will look much cleaner while it’s still easy accessible.
  • Rework the Forum Rules: Considering the new created “Authors Only” Section; what is allowed and what not.
  • No Captcha: I know there is currently no captcha, but just in case: Don’t put a captcha on the forms :)
  • Compatibility with Userscripts/Plugins: ReplyPantry or Envatitor Embedded are GREAT Userscripts. If it is possible please make sure they are still working without the need to get updated. (For example for ReplyPantry that’s easy: Simply don’t change the textarea ID if it is possible, since it relies on that..)

That’s it so far from me.

Of course I’m aware there are some much more important things which needs to be done (eg. search, search item comments, copyright protection,...), but just in case there are some improvements for the forums planned I thought we could collect all the feedback together on which features we think might be useful for our forums.

What do you think what’s missing?

Edit: Post #650; Time for a Yaaay :D
Edit Edit: Maybe this thread could be made sticky? ;-)

4 posts
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
creativeworx says

+1 sounds like some good ideas. Hopefully some dev’s are going to pay attention to that.

22 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • India
LiquidServe says

+1 to that… PS: I heard that envoto tutsplus network is getting a revamp. :)

1255 posts
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
harmonikas996 says

This is great! :)

++++++++

5391 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
Australia says

Great ideas but an editable wiki would make it easier for the devs to keep up with threads like these

894 posts
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
infuse01 says

Great ideas but an editable wiki would make it easier for the devs to keep up with threads like these

ok, I’m fairly open for everything. Is there any place you could recommend? AFAIK there is no editable wiki for authors here on envato, or am I wrong?

19 posts
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
error201 says

• Dedicated Author Category Sometimes there is a topic which has to be discussed by authors only; this can be everything. Many Authors (incl. me) wish for a section for authors only.
  • I would as well, especially for themeforest. A community like stack overflow. With real problems, and solutions. I was thinking of this when I read the title.

Also, maybe quick tags for posting. Something like WordPress TinyMCE.

168 posts
    • Exclusive Author
    • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
    • Venezuela
    Ediartss says

+1

5391 posts
    • Australia
    • Bought between 100 and 499 items
    • Exclusive Author
    Australia says

ok, I’m fairly open for everything. Is there any place you could recommend? AFAIK there is no editable wiki for authors here on envato, or am I wrong?

None that I am aware of, but hopefully one of the devs can throw something up, it would make contributing ideas so much easier than sifting thru a thread

911 posts Never trust a ballerina with a moustache
    • Attended a Community Meetup
    • Australia
    • Contributed a Blog Post
    • Exclusive Author
    • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
    +1 more
    Carmen says

Hey guys,

Great ideas. What do you think about me moving this thread to Site Feedback? Travis and I alert all the devs to new threads like these, but it might be nice to have them in one spot. That way we can keep tabs on them and actually use the ‘site feedback’ forum.

by
    by
    by
    by
    by
    by