655 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
abstract-labs says

Hi, I apologies for this new frame rate question, however I haven’t been able to understand the following:

I’m making a 29.97fps pre-rendered lower third (so no project file, just a quicktime png+alpha element), does it make any sense if I upload a 25fps version too?

Thanks very much :)

465 posts 1 stop solution of all Motion Graphics Needs
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
StrokeVorkz says

It is good you if you attach 25 fps version, you are reaching out to 25fps customers as well.

655 posts
+4 more
abstract-labs says

Thank you very much for your reply :)

5094 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+11 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

If you don’t have pre-rendered elements, your customers can render at any frame rate they like.

If you do use pre-renders, I’d recommend to set your project to 24fps, like feature film. There are standard ways to convert feature films to NTSC (29.97fps) and PAL (25fps) for broadcast and much high end broadcast material (in the US at least) will be shot like this. In Europe, TV stuff is often shot at 25fps.

The NTSC way of converting is to split the 24 frames over 60 fields using a 3:2 pulldown. The PAL way of converting is by speeding up 4%.

For delivery on the web, you can use pretty much any frame rate you like, and 24fps feels nice and filmic, anyway.

655 posts
+4 more
abstract-labs says

Hello Felt, thanks for your clarification, I’ve learned a few useful things reading your messages about frame rate across the forum.

If I understand well in my case (pre-rendered .mov with alpha channel only) I should export 23,976 fps and then buyers will convert it according to their system specs, this would be the best workflow I guess, but do you think that customers could be driven away if they don’t see the frame rate they’re looking for?

Thanks again ;)

465 posts 1 stop solution of all Motion Graphics Needs
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+5 more
StrokeVorkz says

I replied by assuming that you are going to submit in motion graphics category. :)

2184 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+8 more
Creattive says

I’d attach both 25 and 29,97fps, and maybe the 23,976 version, too.

Felt’s answer is correct, but I guess he was talking about prerendered assets in big after effects templates. It shouldn’t be too hard to render out the lower third in 2 framerates.

5094 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+11 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

Hello Felt, thanks for your clarification, I’ve learned a few useful things reading your messages about frame rate across the forum.

If I understand well in my case (pre-rendered .mov with alpha channel only) I should export 23,976 fps and then buyers will convert it according to their system specs, this would be the best workflow I guess, but do you think that customers could be driven away if they don’t see the frame rate they’re looking for?

Thanks again ;)

I’d still export at a round 24fps. The user can interpret it at 23.976 if they’re working with a 29.97 edit. If they’re an editor, they’ll know how to do that.

Users may have a fixed idea in their head of what they need. They may also be working to someone else’s specs or for broadcast. The more flexibility you can offer, the better.

The best solution that I have found is the 24fps solution that I describe above. Because anyone working for broadcast will know how to deal with 24fps for their particular broadcast standard, whereas converting from PAL to NTSC and vice versa is really tricky.

And StrokeVorkz question is a good one actually… are you talking about the motion graphics category or the After Effects category?

655 posts
+4 more
abstract-labs says

Sorry, in this case I’m talking about the motion graphics category.

2351 posts Small, but tough
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
EFEKT_Studio says

I’m always using 24. My favorite :)

by
by
by
by