1661 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+9 more
flashedge says

A good way to promote our items is to allow a freeware download of the item itself with limited functions. I experimented this with another project of mine and it works really good, especially if you put a context menu link inside to spread the word.

Now, I would like to do the same thing with an exclusive FlashDen item. Can I do this or it’s not allowed?

I would like to do this safely without breaking some agreement with Envato.

1552 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
dSKY says

I don’t think it’s allowed, and generally it’s a bad idea. You always need to provide the source , how will you handle that?

147 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+1 more
CreaFx says

If you allow evaluation of items with source code, it’s fully bad idea. But, you can allow preview download.

1661 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+9 more
flashedge says

I meant without source code, of course. Just the swf with a few XML parameters to play with, that’s it. Nothing more.

I’ve done this successfully with another product of mine, but I’m not sure if I’m allowed to do this with exclusive FlashDen items.

2309 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
theflyingtinman says
I don’t think it’s allowed, and generally it’s a bad idea. You always need to provide the source , how will you handle that?

Presumably flashedge means to provide the limited functionality freeware download version without source code elsewhere; not on Flashden.

I think the idea has some merit, but if Admin are amenable to the idea it would be better to implement it through Flashden to control the security. The upload files could include an optional “freeware” package which could be vetted by reviewers to ensure that:
  • the functionality truly is limited in some significant way
  • it is reasonably representative of the full version, and
  • the swfs ares encrypted.

Then the preview page could have a freeware download link (if a freeware version is supplied) and instead of you hosting it off-site you would just advertise the freeware download off-site and supply the link to the Flashden item page. This would have the additional advantage that it would drive more traffic to Flashden and could earn referrals for you.

4679 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says
I meant without source code, of course. Just the swf with a few XML parameters to play with, that’s it. Nothing more.

Alot of people do this already by lifting the files off the preview… so you have the whole XML file and u can edit XML to change content and settings anyways. Our files are cheap here.. so theres no point in promoting free versions of the file, if the buyers like the file, they will buy it :)

3726 posts Community Moderator
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Located in Netherlands
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
Joost Moderator says
Alot of people do this already by lifting the files off the preview… so you have the whole XML file and u can edit XML to change content and settings anyways.

Exactly! The preview is precisely the freeware functionality you’re describing, flashedge. You can simply add a few adjustable parameters there. Viewing this preview and messing with the settings is, of course, free, but then one pays for the source code. FlashDen is brilliant :D

4335 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
Reaper-Media says
Alot of people do this already by lifting the files off the preview… so you have the whole XML file and u can edit XML to change content and settings anyways.
Exactly! The preview is precisely the freeware functionality you’re describing, flashedge. You can simply add a few adjustable parameters there. Viewing this preview and messing with the settings is, of course, free, but then one pays for the source code. FlashDen is brilliant :D

What DS means is that people are stealing the source files from the preview and testing it that way, and sometimes, not paying at all.

I think this idea is really good, and would provide a good way for lawful potential buyers to test our products before they buy. :)

2309 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
+5 more
theflyingtinman says
What DS means is that people are stealing the source files from the preview and testing it that way, and sometimes, not paying at all. I think this idea is really good, and would provide a good way for lawful potential buyers to test our products before they buy. :)

+1 : Stolen previews give full functionality for free … not limited functionality. Not to mention that the ability to advertise our files off-site, with a freeware download link back to Flashden (if FD implements the freeware option) would drive a lot more traffic to Flashden. Even users who don’t eventually buy the full version of the freeware would have to register on Flashden to get the freeware version.

409 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
arctic_ark says

-1 no so good idea

by
by
by
by