4905 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market Member of the Envato Team
+9 more
MarkBrodhuber Envato team says

Hey guys, first things first. The purchase button is still there because the free download is only for one license. So for example, lets say someone comes in and grabs the free file using it for a project. But then within the same month, wants to use it again. That would require a new license to be purchased. Or of course if they want to buy it to show some love, or even to buy the extended license.

Now regarding the text based download link. I must admit, I never realized how confusing it could be. I can assure you that it’s layout is not an intentional UI trick to try and get people to pay money for a free file. Even if someone clicks the purchase button, it will still pop up warning them that after a second click the funds will be removed from their account. So that should be a bit of a heads up right there. But I’ll talk to the team about maybe changing the text to a prominent “Free Download” button.

Thanks for the feedback!

IndustrialThemes
IndustrialThemes Recent Posts Threads Started
141 posts
    Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
IndustrialThemes says

Might I suggest adding an extra javascript alert (or changing the one that pops up) that informs the user that they are about to buy a free file (obviously only if the item is the free file of the month)? I believe that would solve all problems.

3072 posts
    Has referred 50+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
wickedpixel says

First time I checked for a free file I also clicked on Buy. My luck is that there was a confirmation action that made me search again for “the right button”.

447 posts
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Depard says
MarkBrodhuber said
Hey guys, first things first. The purchase button is still there because the free download is only for one license. So for example, lets say someone comes in and grabs the free file using it for a project. But then within the same month, wants to use it again. That would require a new license to be purchased. Or of course if they want to buy it to show some love, or even to buy the extended license.

Now regarding the text based download link. I must admit, I never realized how confusing it could be. I can assure you that it’s layout is not an intentional UI trick to try and get people to pay money for a free file. Even if someone clicks the purchase button, it will still pop up warning them that after a second click the funds will be removed from their account. So that should be a bit of a heads up right there. But I’ll talk to the team about maybe changing the text to a prominent “Free Download” button.

Thanks for the feedback!
Thank you for Your answer.I can give you one advice,I think it will change situation. I bought free file on graphicriver. All links on graphicriver are orange,but DOWNLOAD link is black(like text) so I thought that its not even link.Maybe this link must be orange?I know that I will never make this mistake again,but there are other “not so smart” users like me:D
3693 posts Community Moderator
    Helps us moderate the forums Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+ Located in Netherlands Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
Joost Volunteer moderator says
Depard said
All links on graphicriver are orange,but DOWNLOAD link is black(like text) so I thought that its not even link.Maybe this link must be orange?

Your orange looks an awful lot like my blue :sarcasm: But yeah, as Mark mentioned, that’s definitely a suggestion to look into.

447 posts
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Depard says
Joost said
Depard said
All links on graphicriver are orange,but DOWNLOAD link is black(like text) so I thought that its not even link.Maybe this link must be orange?
Your orange looks an awful lot like my blue :sarcasm: But yeah, as Mark mentioned, that’s definitely a suggestion to look into.
Ouch…I mean videohive,not graphicriver:D
951 posts
    Has referred 1000+ members Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+10 more
Giallo says
purethemes said
Your avatar is very relevant :D

hahah yeah he’s been trolled by Envato!

853 posts Envato Studio Communications Manager
    Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Member of the Envato Team Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+7 more
Jordan_M Envato team says

I think there’s actually a ticket about this somewhere in the dev queue (to make it a bit easier to tell it’s a link).

by
by
by
by
by
by