• Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says

Hey guys, I’ve had this idea for quite awhile and just haven’t done anything about it. With the launch of the PHP /JS category though I thought I might look into the idea a bit further.

I’m curious as to how many TF authors don’t use a live preview because they don’t have web hosting as well as how many TF authors purchased web hosting because they started selling items here and wanted live previews?

I’m wondering if anyone would be interested in creating a PHP based system where people could create accounts (free) and host ~3-5 (or more) TF templates. I would only want to start something like this though if there were enough people here that would be interested in using it.

I can provide all the hosting resources and whoever develops the system could sell the system in the PHP category here at TF (assuming it gets approved). I would also be willing to offer some sort of additional compensation but I’m not sure what/how much yet.

Anyway, ideas, suggestions, etc. are all welcome. You can also tell me I’m crazy if you’d like. ;-)

1475 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

You mean like a separate site where people can host their own files?

537 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Netherlands
+2 more
Hein says

That’s a good idea xmdsys. Only i can’t help you out with the technical coding stuff but i own a decidated server and if you want i can help you out with setting up a domain and everything that comes along for this service if needed.

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
+7 more
jremick Staff says
You mean like a separate site where people can host their own files?

Yeah, like a service for hosting live previews used at TF. So here’s an example.

TF author goes to the service website (tfpreviews.com – just an example). They sign up for an account and upload the live preview files for their template that’s going to be sold in the TF marketplace. They get a url like UserName.TFPreviews.com for their account and urls for each hosted template. UserName.TFPreviews.com/TemplateName/

Then the author puts in the live preview url for the template being sold here at TF.

Part of the idea is that if it works (meaning people use it), it could be expanded to include stuff like analytics and whatever else is useful.

That’s a good idea xmdsys. Only i can’t help you out with the technical coding stuff but i own a decidated server and if you want i can help you out with setting up a domain and everything that comes along for this service if needed.

Thanks for the offer! I would be able to take care of all the hosting resources, domains, etc. so that wouldn’t be an issue. Suggestions/ideas for names and all that is welcome though. :-)

• Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

True, true. Good idea. There’s plenty of places like this already, but they’re always limited, and having one especially for ThemeForest would be great.

The only problem is if people actually use it. Most people have domains and hosting, so those who do have hosting would much rather prefer to have it on their own server where everything is safe.

• Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
+7 more
jremick Staff says
The only problem is if people actually use it. Most people have domains and hosting, so those who do have hosting would much rather prefer to have it on their own server where everything is safe.

Right, it would mostly be an easy way for people who aren’t familiar with hosting, don’t have any yet, etc.

It’s kind of along the lines of http://www.aremysitesup.com from Chris. Anyone can setup a simple way to check to see if their sites are up and implement notifications for when they go down, etc. but there are a lot of people who don’t want to mess with it. They just want an easy solution that works.

With 200K+ users, Envato has new TF authors joining every day, many of which may not have hosting yet or don’t know enough about it yet. Eh, maybe it’s a silly idea though, lol.

951 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Daan says

I think it’s a good idea, and it could really help people just starting out. However, as you said, with the marketplaces having 200k+ members, and growing, it will have huge costs of bandwidth and such, you sure you want to do it? :p

• Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says
I think it’s a good idea, and it could really help people just starting out. However, as you said, with the marketplaces having 200k+ members, and growing, it will have huge costs of bandwidth and such, you sure you want to do it? :p

That’s also a good point. It’s a kind service, you’ll be losing out on a lot of money doing this for free. This service wouldn’t help YOU in any way, shape or form.

• Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
+7 more
jremick Staff says

Yup, I’ve thought of that. ;-)

If I limit the number of hosted templates to something like 3-5 then offer “Premium” accounts for like $2/m or something then it could pay off the hosting costs plus a little. Then maybe integrate some sort of basic advertising (like a small bar at the bottom of the window) if it starts getting popular enough.

There’s lots of ways to monetize stuff like this but it usually always needs to start out free.

Another way could be by requiring a “Premium” account to have PHP processing capabilities or something.

If the large majority of users only host static files, they can be stored at Amazon’s S3 service. I used to store about 200GB of data on there and it was only about $30/m. So data storage certainly won’t be an issue. :-)

2317 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+1 more
CreativeMilk says

Great idea. I allready had a couple of hosting places so i dont need it but i think that a special system/service will be nice and useful for authors that dont have any kind of hosting. I have seen a lot of theme/scripts that where offline for some reason(this will not help sell there themes/scripts).

The idea of yours is really useful but Envato is growing fast so it must be a really reliable service ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by