226 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Russian Federation
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
chipree says

Here’s a question: If I want to create a Wordpress theme and give it away for free on a site like wordpress.org and/or my blog, and then, after the free version of the theme is done and am giving it away for free,I do this:

I modify it: I add a slideshow to the theme, 5 styles, 3 extra page templates and a few more features in the admin panel (this was just an example) so that the theme is much more advanced but has the same design as the wordpress.org one….

Can I sell it here as a wordpress theme with full commission rate and with everything 100% OK on licenses, site policies.. etc ? Is it ok to do this?

851 posts Envato Studio Communications Manager
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Envato Staff
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Australia
+2 more
Jordan_M Staff says

Hey cy21,

Yes this usage is acceptable. If you are selling as an exclusive author then you will need to make sure that the version you are selling is different to what you are giving away for free, but assuming you have made reasonable alterations there is no reason why you cannot do this. :-)

226 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Russian Federation
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
chipree says
Hey cy21, Yes this usage is acceptable. If you are selling as an exclusive author then you will need to make sure that the version you are selling is different to what you are giving away for free, but assuming you have made reasonable alterations there is no reason why you cannot do this. :-)

Thanks so much!

by
by
by
by
by
by