4 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
eswdesign says

Hi guys, I would love some feedback from freelancer web designers/developers and the authors of some of these great Wordpress/HTML websites on ThemeForest on how you feel about Freelancers/Web design business using templates for clients?

I’ve come across some truly amazing Wordpress websites on Themeforest and I myself have thought about buying a theme to use for a clients project. Are there many people on here that do just that? Run a successful business using Premium Wordpress themes for their clients?

Also would love to know how the Authors of these excellent templates feel about this, and what their thoughts are about the process. – I myself think it’s a great idea!

Look forward to your replies.

4 posts
  • Australia
eswdesign says

Sorry this should have been posted in ThemeForest – you can move it over there if need be! :)

1636 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Forum Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
+6 more
SamBerson says

I’ve done this in the past, and don’t think there’s any problem in doing so.

Providing that you are doing exactly what you can and can’t do in the license, you should be fine!

Sam :)

30 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
PixelForces says

Yes, many people do that, and I believe successfully. This may be a good business if you have at least minimal skills in editing and customizing themes you are going to offer to your clients.

Unfortunately some of such “businessman” are just lazy people who don’t want to do anything useful, they just mediators. Sometimes when it comes to even smallest and simplest customizations (sure they don’t have enough skills even for that) they just start spamming the authors with infinity requests, and if you don’t meet each their wish they will start complaining (your theme is bad, my client is angry etc…) and give an item poor rating.

Of course, sometimes this is an authors fault, because not every item on TF of a good quality, so be careful here too. Read item comments section and check overall author’s rating before you buy.

8119 posts Community Moderator
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Won a Competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+4 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

it’s kind of what the marketplace is for… as long as the client knows then it’s fine… if you make the client think that you made it yourself then I think that’s wrong…

731 posts
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+1 more
greenline says

I do work as freelancer also. I’ll tell you how I do it: when a customer wants a new website, I usually send to him 4-5 links to themeforest templates. He selects the one he likes most, then he buys it, then he hires me for the customization/setup part.

The alternative: buying a template with a regular license, then using it for multiple projects/clients is not allowed.

1636 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Forum Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+6 more
SamBerson says

The alternative: buying a template with a regular license, then using it for multiple projects/clients is not allowed.

Was just going to suggest that – seen a few people do that, when they should’ve bought two or more licenses. I suppose they think that no one will ever know..

4 posts
  • Australia
eswdesign says

Thanks so much for the great advice guys.

by
by
by
by
by
by