3 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
onesizeup says

Hi,

I’ve been developing websites for my clients for a while now and been using Wordpress for the last 3-4 years for the majority of my projects. I’m interested in moving into selling themes, and specifically WP and Shopify themes, but wondering whether there’s a huge learning curve going from a ‘regular web developer’ into developing themes?

I know the support factor is a big one, but I’m more referring to the technical side of things. For example, I normally use the ACF plugin extensively on my sites to make things as easy as possible for my clients, but it’s meant I’ve pushed learning about things like manually integrating meta boxes and theme option pages to the back of my to do list.

From what I’ve seen, it looks like those sorts of things are essential for getting any sales here right? Or are there themes that do well without all those bells and whistles and are simply themes you apply and you’re ‘done’?

I’ll look through the forum posts more to see if there’s a checklist for preparing to sell here, but any insights from existing authours would be appreciated.

Osu

5 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
BrillDesign says

you and i are in the same boat…. tnx for posting this

40 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Indonesia
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
themesawesome says

There are many framework to do those things right now. You can also still use ACF if you like by integrating it to themes. My first theme is using it for meta box.

Hope it help.

Cheers

Hi,

I’ve been developing websites for my clients for a while now and been using Wordpress for the last 3-4 years for the majority of my projects. I’m interested in moving into selling themes, and specifically WP and Shopify themes, but wondering whether there’s a huge learning curve going from a ‘regular web developer’ into developing themes?

I know the support factor is a big one, but I’m more referring to the technical side of things. For example, I normally use the ACF plugin extensively on my sites to make things as easy as possible for my clients, but it’s meant I’ve pushed learning about things like manually integrating meta boxes and theme option pages to the back of my to do list.

From what I’ve seen, it looks like those sorts of things are essential for getting any sales here right? Or are there themes that do well without all those bells and whistles and are simply themes you apply and you’re ‘done’?

I’ll look through the forum posts more to see if there’s a checklist for preparing to sell here, but any insights from existing authours would be appreciated.

Osu
3 posts
onesizeup says

There are many framework to do those things right now. You can also still use ACF if you like by integrating it to themes.

Really? I didn’t realise you could use ACF within themes…I’ll have to look into that. What kind of frameworks exist for creating theme option pages etc.?

Thanks,

Osu

77 posts Innovative Magical Ideas
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
+4 more
imithemes says

We have been using Redux Framework for our themes here and it is working well for us interns of customizability and development. It offers theme options and meta fields. I recommend using Redux once as it is very easy to start with as well ;)

Thanks

1350 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
tommusrhodus says
3 posts
onesizeup says

Metaboxes: https://github.com/WebDevStudios/Custom-Metaboxes-and-Fields-for-WordPress

Theme Options:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Customization_API

Very useful, thanks for these links! Will check out the Redux Framework as well.

Based on the suggestions, it’s sounding like you need to include these sorts of features in your themes to get any kind of traction with sales here correct?

by
by
by
by
by
by