+1 to additional update tab

76 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Canada
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
g_gilmore says

+1 to the tab, that’s a fantastic compromise!

951 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
Daan says

What about this idea;
Once a month, every author gets the ability to bump up one of their items to the homepage. Because it can only be used once a month, on one item, it can’t and won’t be abused..

+1 on the updated tab btw ;)

2276 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
jonathan01 says

haven’t read the full thread yet but I got the general idea – I think you need tabs on the front page for each category – the current “mix” of PSD / HTML / Wordpress / Javascript / PHP is just plain messy and also a user interface nightmare to be honest – plus it dilutes the effectiveness of promotion of items – I think having tabs would help this so that the latest 15 items or so are listed for each category – user hits site – clicks appropriate tab to see instantly the new (or latest) 15 products for that category they are interested in.

You could then rotate the tabs on a weekly basis (or cookie) – week 1 – PSD – week 2 HTML etc – so that people do not see the same category which would help to promote different categories also.

We all know that the bulk of sales come from front page promotion – without this the current search is just kinda messy I think. It will allow a longer period of time for each new item to appear on the front page because a wordpress template updated 3 days ago would not be pushed out of front page status because of 2 new JS files.

Seems like common sense to me.. :)

382 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
blabus says
haven’t read the full thread yet but I got the general idea – I think you need tabs on the front page for each category – the current “mix” of PSD / HTML / Wordpress / Javascript / PHP is just plain messy and also a user interface nightmare to be honest – plus it dilutes the effectiveness of promotion of items – I think having tabs would help this so that the latest 15 items or so are listed for each category – user hits site – clicks appropriate tab to see instantly the new (or latest) 15 products for that category they are interested in.

You could then rotate the tabs on a weekly basis (or cookie) – week 1 – PSD – week 2 HTML etc – so that people do not see the same category which would help to promote different categories also.

We all know that the bulk of sales come from front page promotion – without this the current search is just kinda messy I think. It will allow a longer period of time for each new item to appear on the front page because a wordpress template updated 3 days ago would not be pushed out of front page status because of 2 new JS files.

Seems like common sense to me.. :)

Now that really is an excellent idea, because I’m guessing most people who visit the site are probably looking for new stuff in a particular category, much more often than just looking at anything that’s new.

+10 for that. :)

2529 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

Hey guys – these are really good ideas. Keep them coming if you have more. I’ll be sure to pass them on to Collis and Cyan.

171 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+4 more
clarklab says

Maybe we could just have a page that displays random templates. Or something like Wikipedia’s “Random Article” link that just jumps you to a random page. I wouldn’t random mindlessly hopping around a web of templates for a while.

+8 more
jonathan01 says
Maybe we could just have a page that displays random templates. Or something like Wikipedia’s “Random Article” link that just jumps you to a random page. I wouldn’t random mindlessly hopping around a web of templates for a while.

That’s fine but it would reduce the impact on sales by randomizing and again not help users to easily see what they came here for – wordpress or html or php etc

I really think tabs for categories – set number of thumbs for latest items (however I really don’t think updated should be included as this could just end up being an excuse to bump items and end up being abused).

962 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
webdesigndeluxe says

Hey Jeffrey. Yea I thought it would be a great idea for updates to be back on the homepage, for example, the last update of Client Works in PHP , that was awesome. I think that would be great if they were there again for a day or two after a major update because you can’t really email all of your customers that you updated it so maybe they’ll see it on the homepage! Other then that, I think the whole border and pay-per-click kinda advertising turkhitbox mentioned would be stupid.

+8 more
jonathan01 says

If the only concern for updates is to let customers who bought previously – know of an update then surely the ability from within an items profile page as an author to be able to click a single button to write a short email to notify existing purchasers of an update would be sufficient? Or maybe just an update button that sends a canned message with a link?

I really don’t think updates should be on the homepage (or maybe another tab but is it necessary?) – the chances of abuse are just too great – and I know that if it came down to people doing that I would change something in a css file – re-upload and get on the home page every week – basically if one starts it then everyone will, just to be able to compete.

Creating category tabs with latest items would benefit everyone as more items of a category can be displayed which means longer exposure.

Just my 2cents…

by
by
by
by
by
by