171 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+4 more
clarklab says
That’s fine but it would reduce the impact on sales by randomizing and again not help users to easily see what they came here for – wordpress or html or php etc

The featured space on the front page doesn’t sort in any way, its just all categories displaying thumbs in one place. Its not so much about finding what they came here for as it is about presenting the user with something they may not know they need yet. Even if its random, its still an extra pair of eyes that may have never noticed the item buried on page 8 of a category they wouldn’t have otherwise visited.

2529 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

@jonathan – That’s the whole reason why the reviewer would decide whether or not to bump the update back to the front page. That way, we don’t have to worry about spammers.

2299 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
jonathan01 says
@jonathan – That’s the whole reason why the reviewer would decide whether or not to bump the update back to the front page. That way, we don’t have to worry about spammers.

Oh – I did not see anyone mention the reviewer bit – sorry – my bad

2299 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
jonathan01 says
That’s fine but it would reduce the impact on sales by randomizing and again not help users to easily see what they came here for – wordpress or html or php etc
The featured space on the front page doesn’t sort in any way, its just all categories displaying thumbs in one place. Its not so much about finding what they came here for as it is about presenting the user with something they may not know they need yet. Even if its random, its still an extra pair of eyes that may have never noticed the item buried on page 8 of a category they wouldn’t have otherwise visited.

not sure I follow – if you look back to my original posting on this thread I mentioned tabs for categories – each of those displaying thumbs for latest items for that category – let’s be honest, even though TF added 2 new categories for JS and PHP 99 % of people come here for “themes” not apps. I personally think they shouldn’t really of been on this site – but rather a new “code” based one. But heh – what do I know ;)

As for an item buried on page 8 – old system or a new one – once it’s off the front page it’s a matter of browsing the site to see older ones via sales / rating / author / style and of course the new tag system. My idea was to separate categories rather than the mixed up everything in one bucket appearance of the current design.

Like I said – just a suggestion – nothing else. :)

228 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
stevebluck says

I think the tabs for each category is a must.

Here’s my new idea:

Have another section or tab somewhere that randomly shows 10 or however many OLD items, this way, authors always have a chance that buyers will see thier work even without them searching.

171 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+4 more
stmcan says
haven’t read the full thread yet but I got the general idea – I think you need tabs on the front page for each category – the current “mix” of PSD / HTML / Wordpress / Javascript / PHP is just plain messy and also a user interface nightmare to be honest – plus it dilutes the effectiveness of promotion of items – I think having tabs would help this so that the latest 15 items or so are listed for each category – user hits site – clicks appropriate tab to see instantly the new (or latest) 15 products for that category they are interested in. You could then rotate the tabs on a weekly basis (or cookie) – week 1 – PSD – week 2 HTML etc – so that people do not see the same category which would help to promote different categories also. We all know that the bulk of sales come from front page promotion – without this the current search is just kinda messy I think. It will allow a longer period of time for each new item to appear on the front page because a wordpress template updated 3 days ago would not be pushed out of front page status because of 2 new JS files. Seems like common sense to me.. :)

+1

by
by
by
by
by
by