• Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
DigitalHenry says

This economy in which we live in creates opportunity’s which normally would exist (well for me). I use to work at a restaurant but in my heart I knew I needed to leave that place to work on the stuff I love. I always knew I wanted to design stuff and sell them on TF. So one day I decided to quit my job. Just like that I had no income. Only support from my parents. Thanks to god. So I’ve been unemployed for about 5 months up until now. I decided I wanted to make Themes for the Envato Marketplaces and live off of that. So far I love doing this and I can picture myself doing this forever. No real clients, freedom to design what you like, learn new technologies, no real schedule to follow. Although I don’t have a lot of money now, I plan to work real hard and consider this my full-time job.

Any other authors here work full time? I’d love to hear some stories :)

348 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • India
Shaan_007 says

what you said freedom is really true.. this is the best job, no schedule no pressure to complete work on time.. i love this place :)

about full time author.. I am not a full time author,I am a engineering student and i have a collage of 7 hrs and the work load of assignments and exams kills me, so my life is like struggle against time.. No time to waste :D … i hope i can can dedicate more time to AD after my exams

2098 posts
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
+7 more
DarkstarDesigns says

hey

I had planned on what your doing but to be fair with you it just was not realistic, well at least for me i have costs and need money coming in, it depends how old you are.

what i did was take a job as a multimedia designner, so it will help me build up my skills and i have been uploading files on to GR on the side. if the income becomes stable and high enough then i would leave my job and do it full time.

my advice to you would be work part time so you know you have a cetain level of income coming in, which is useful as you never know when thing can go wrong like cars and computers if your computer breaks there goes your income and use the rest of your time to upload things to the envato sites!

193 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
Roeven says

I find that a quite silly decision, sorry. You had better start making themes in weekends etc. and when you were (a bit) successful, you could quit your normal job. But I do wish you good luck on your journey through the woods. :)

Edit: HollowIchigo beat me to it. Let’s just say I meant what he meant.

169 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
CallMePaul says

I can say I am planning for something similar. My idea is to sell stuff on TF and be able to pay with that other projects. My hope is that I will be able to get the same or more money with the themes here at TF than what I get at my actual job but using less time.

Time will tell for me.

Good luck with you new “job” Paul

76 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • New Zealand
duane_ashworth says

I’d be careful if I was you , apply some basic time management practises into the work you do here, make sure that the time spent doing this is worth the profit that you will make.

So far I’m doing this semi-full time trying to build up a decent amount of items , the only problem so far has been putting in a lot of hours for minimal return.

I know theres a lot of attraction to being able to hurl off the oppresive shackles of normal full time work but remember that your putting on another set, not all the work you put in will be accepted and it may not sell well.

It will take some time to build up a few good selling items so you will really have to work out whether it will be worth the time or not, I am sure there are people here who do quite well here but I am sure they also have other avenues of income and work.

On that note though I myself would like to be able to put more time into this but I am starting to realise that there are certainly plenty of pitfalls when trying to make money from this businesss model.

4317 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Community Moderator
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Venezuela
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
+9 more
Ivor Reviewer says

I love this job, but I can’t do this as my fulltime job because I can’t use USD ’s in my country, I only can use that money to buy stuffs in USA , I’m a bit dissapointed though because I can’t buy an iMac, I have a very good friend in this marketplace and I deposited the money to him (He lives in US) to get the Mac, why so many restrictions? I have the money is so frustrating. So, I’ll open an account in Florida (let’s see how it goes) and trasfer the payments to that bank :) maybe to travel to the US to the next Envato Meet-Up :D they should organize one for the next year.

3747 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+5 more
pezflash says

Try to think being an author here somethink more “long term”. It will be difficult to live only with the incomes from AD at least the first year, i think (unless you have the design/code skills of P&K, for example :P )

Try to look for a job that gives you enough time to develop some good files. Wait for results. This way you’ll be not nervous about your “personal maintance” and you will enjoy being an author, which i think right now it’s the most important fact to be successful here.

Good luck!

9 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
TheDancingTree says

well mate i feel pretty much as you do, i really love what i do, lots of people from my family tell me all the time i should get a real job but i just love to draw, to design, to sculpt, to animate, to lighting, to make 3D models, i love all the 3D and VFX stuff and i wont do anything far from it. The other guys comments are pretty reasonable thou, you should be carefull and don’t go to extremes, take something from both sides. To be honest i don’t picture myself as a full time author for the rest of my life cuz anyway i would love to work for the videogame or film industry, that’s my dream to live doing that (follow your dreams, all of you, it could sound silly but is the only way you could get both, be happy and be succesful, because maybe you could be succesful making another thing but u will not be happy cuz u will wish be making what u love) but now i want to focus my energy and the talent i have to work as a full time author (for now) that way i can make some money at Envato’s Marke Places while spreading my time betwen working for making files to sell and get some money (and don’t just be thinking all the time how to get money to live) while i study hard and learn new techniques and softwares for my future carrer in the videogame or movie industry. Anyway DigitalHenry i just will tell you one thing,. if this is what you want, do it, sometimes it will tough and u wont get what you want but don’t give up and keep going mate i wish you the best ;)

266 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
DigitalHenry says
(follow your dreams, all of you, it could sound silly but is the only way you could get both, be happy and be succesful, because maybe you could be succesful making another thing but u will not be happy cuz u will wish be making what u love)

Every one here has different circumstances in which it allows/denies this opportunity. Every one has different goals but at the end it all comes down to what you love to do. This doesn’t mean I’m going be rich right away, but TF will grow and as it grows so will your skills and you’ll produce better quality submissions.

by
by
by
by
by
by