517 posts Epic Trailer Music
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
MartijndeBont says

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering, how many of you are creating music full-time, as your main source of income? I don’t mean just selling music at Audiojungle, but creating music in general? The reason why I’m wondering is because I see so many authors here that are uploading so many tracks that I can’t imagine those people are having a daytime job (like I do :-P). So, are there any authors here who are only creating music without the need of having a job next to that?

For example, I am working at least 40 / 50 hours a week (as a guitar technician) which is my main source of income, and I’m doing this music thingy in my free time (if I have any). Therefor I made a deal with myself to release at least 1 track per week here at AJ and even that is pretty hard…

I see authors here uploading 5 – 10 tracks (or even more) per week, so I assume those authors have a lot of spare time on their hands? (or you are composing very fast ;-)).

Cheers, Martijn

170 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
solarsound says

Hi Martijn,

I am with you. I work full time as a audio and video editor for another company. I then work at my home Studio making music for Audio Jungle. Add to the fact I have a child and family to spend time with, it can be difficult to find the energy to produce music. I would prefer making music full time. But it is a long journey.

I say it is best to set yourself a goal per month for music production and stick with it. I try not too worry about my production quantity so much as long as I stick to my goals. The rest takes care of itself.

1183 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
garethcoker Envato team says

I’m a full-time composer now, but it’s been a journey to get here. It’s probably worth noting that I don’t write ‘FOR’ Audiojungle. Rather I just go through my back-catalogue and see what I want to upload. The vast majority of my income comes from doing original work synced to picture. But as I said, the journey was interesting….

I went to music school. Upon graduating at 22, I went to teach English in Japan. Everyone thought I was crazy! I did this for 3 years. Why? Because everyone knows how difficult it is to get started in the business, and it sure is easier if you have money to fall back on. Plus, I got to do all my world travelling immediately after university. This was probably the only time when I’d be able to seriously have a very very long-term vacation – if I was going to pursue composition seriously.

Anyway, over that 3 years I accumulated and saved enough money to buy a ton of gear. Also during that 3 years, I practiced like crazy on how to use that gear.

At 25, I moved to LA and got myself back into the swing of things by attending the University of Southern California’s Scoring For Motion Pictures program for one year. May 2010 I finished the program.

I went and worked with other composers on some VERY VERY high profile stuff – which I can’t talk about due to the NDA I signed with them. Then I grew tired of working for other composers, and after 4-5 months in the wilderness, I’ve built my work to a point where – even before Audiojungle – I make my entire living doing music.

Without the 3 years in Japan, I’d have never had the resources or have developed the skills in a non-pressure environment to get to this point. What excites me the most is that I still have a CRAZY amount to learn.

Enough rambling. I’d be interested to hear from other authors on this. I’ve never yet met a full-time composer with the same story on how they got their foot through the door.

736 posts All things are possible, for one who believes.
  • Won a competition
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
TimMcMorris says

Hey there Martijn!

I am also doing composing and producing full time, however only since mid 2010 when AJ helped make up additional income to help complete the gap in income that would have existed otherwise.

It has been a HARD , LONG road to get here, for me…and I know that is definitely not uncommon to most full timers.

I have never had any training, or lessons at all – however I had a family full of musicians and enthusiasts that I learned from pretty much silent observation over the years until my late teens where I finally got my hands on some cheap equipment to start experimenting myself.

It was extremely difficult and many times I contemplated giving up on music altogether because for years and years I never saw a dime from anything music related.

Being quite poor and having little money for a long time (poor in the North American sense, not completely destitute like in some parts of the world!) was what fueled my dream. I relentlessly read articles, played around with anything I could get my hands on, listened to countless composers and artist, taught myself guitar and a few other instruments. I landed a few small music jobs for videos and internet related work because at the time I was doing website work and video production.

After a few years I was running a successful media business, then shut it down at the height of its success to peruse music full time….the timing was perfect and from there I was catapulted into full time work. I would say that right now I am at the height of success in my musical endeavors, however I am yet very far off from where I want to be.

Like Gareth said, I know I have so much to learn… it’s simultaneously very annoying and very exciting.

231 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
+3 more
Boldtrax says

Hi @ all, really interesting topic. At the time I am in the process of turning my musical development into a full time thing. I went back to freelancing at the beginning of 2011 (before I was mainly into websites) but always hav had a passion for music. June is now my 3rd month in the jungle and I must say it is working out pretty well (much better than I’d expected).

Not that I could already make a living out of it alone but it is some nice extra cash and hopefully will turn out to my main income soon. Time to time I am doing stage jobs mainly as a singer (Top 40 and so on) and I am also working as a producer – that gives me my income, so I have much time to prepare stuff for the jungle. There are also first developments to work with regional customers in the field of audio but this is rather rare.

My main goal is to get into the film / game soundtrack and maybe trailermusic scene, I simply love that orchestral stuff. I have recently spent a lot of money on growing my libraries (cinesamples, Best Service, East West and so on) and I am in the process of getting to know these “babies”. Especially Cinesamples Cinebrass is an extremely mindblowing thing, if you do orchestral stuff, check it out, it’s truly awesome. I drift…

So I’d already say that I’m a full time musician, cause everything music related (concerts, producing, and the jungle) makes my living.

Cheers Dirk

164 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
cleanmindsounds says

I also do music full time, earn a little, but enough for life:) It is better I will not have expensive cars and other material things, but I’ll be happy for a living that I really like :)

938 posts Go Acoustic!
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
jhunger says

I’m definitely not a full time composer, although this year I’ve gone from serious hobbyist to side business, whatever that means. I’m in the same boat as solarsound – family and a day job (though unlike solarsound and MartijnDB, not at all related to music :P).

If I were single, I’m actually at the point where I could scratch an existence off of stock sales and concentrate on freelance/live gigs to fill in the gaps. I would do that in a New York minute, to tell you the truth. But that’s not a risk I’m willing to subject the rest of my family to at the moment :).

So I just try to find a few hours during the week to compose and record music when I can. The upside – it’s actually quite motivating to only have a small amount of time for it, so I don’t waste a lot of time in the studio.

+12 more
jhunger said
The upside – it’s actually quite motivating to only have a small amount of time for it, so I don’t waste a lot of time in the studio.

Haha, this is great. Actually when you become a full-time composer, you don’t really become a full-time composer, more….a full-time procrastinator. :p

241 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
BCrutchfield Envato team says
garethcoker said
jhunger said
The upside – it’s actually quite motivating to only have a small amount of time for it, so I don’t waste a lot of time in the studio.
Haha, this is great. Actually when you become a full-time composer, you don’t really become a full-time composer, more….a full-time procrastinator. :p

Haha, tell me about it. I’ve been procrastinating all day long listening to Steve Jablonsky’s score from the new Transformers movie.

I did get around to mixing a new piano piece, and getting some small edits done to my AudioJungle avatar though!

+12 more

You mean Steve Jablonsky’s arrangement of Mind Heist by Zack Hemsey and The Dark Knight? That ‘score’?

:p

by
by
by
by
by
by