45 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
rktic says

Dear Themeforest team,

i recently started reading a lot in the forums around here and notice how often themes get rejected for whatever reasons while others make it to the store. Now, there’s something i do not fully understand about your reviewing process.

At least half the themes praised as “fully responsive” lack responsive typography ending up with 10-11px fonts on mobile devices. Shouldn’t your quality control prevent this?

Last not least the entire idea of responsive design is making websites accessible and usuable on all possible devices – and eventhough it’s nice that images, embeds and whatnot are scaling down, what’s the use if i can’t read the text because it doesn’t scale up? That’s quite a factor – text is still the most important content.

Just wondering r

PS: any new info on the advanced filtering system you promised over half a year ago?

3247 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

part of the problem with themes is authors forget/dont know about

-webkit-text-size-adjust:none;

which solves most of it

45 posts
rktic says

Well, for webkit browsers.

But i wonder why the Teamforest quality assurance police doesn’t have it on their radar?

Last not least it’s quite a radical layout change towards mobile devices. Desktop 11px body (bad idea anyway) and preferably 14-16px on mobile devices would need quite some additional tweaks depending on the theme.

Not really a nobrainer hotfix situation.

1661 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+9 more
flashedge says

Using rems with a px fallback doesn’t solve the issue?

45 posts
rktic says

There are many solutions and there’s still a battle goin on about which is the best.

Btw, pretty striking HTML template you’ve got there, flashededge! Plus it’s really “fully responsive” :)

922 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+13 more
MDNW says

@OrganicBeeMedia – I didn’t even know about that one myself… so nice tip! Question though: Wouldn’t that be iOS/Safari/Chrome specific? Does the default Android browser use webkit?

This one skipped my radar for a few months, but I’ve just been including a simple media-query line to boost the font-size and line-height for the main content columns to 18-24px (depending on the theme and element) when you move down into the mobile resolutions… naturally, this’ll be getting awfully mucked up as the next batch of devices comes out with higher pixel density (which means that we’ll be seeing small phones with 1024 resolutions… which breaks the idea of a media-query being the solution for “small” devices).

Oh, and great post rktic – this topic is super relevant; I’m not in full agreement that this needs to be part of the “review standards”... but as we already have a really high bar set for all other design considerations, I suppose this wouldn’t be a terrible idea. It’s a 2 minute fix for most themes, and buyers will benefit from it.

3247 posts
+1 more
organicbee says

@OrganicBeeMedia – I didn’t even know about that one myself… so nice tip! Question though: Wouldn’t that be iOS/Safari/Chrome specific? Does the default Android browser use webkit?

the majority of android browsers are webkit based, actually I believe that blackberry is webkit based as well(though not as feature heavy)

anyways theres also https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/CSS/text-size-adjust

2063 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Landonw says

My largest issue with “responsive” is that most devices have different PPIs. This means that from my desktop I can’t just assume what it may look like on say, an iPad. I’d need to own a TON of devices to create a “responsive” theme.

As far as I know the best method of creating a responsive theme is having your wrapper change width based on device width and use retina ready images: http://www.noupe.com/design/the-mobile-web-css-image-replacement-for-retina-display-devices.html

3247 posts
+1 more
organicbee says

My largest issue with “responsive” is that most devices have different PPIs. This means that from my desktop I can’t just assume what it may look like on say, an iPad. I’d need to own a TON of devices to create a “responsive” theme. As far as I know the best method of creating a responsive theme is having your wrapper change width based on device width and use retina ready images: http://www.noupe.com/design/the-mobile-web-css-image-replacement-for-retina-display-devices.html

the only thing that currently looks promising is http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-images/#the-image-resolution

I know its being built in to the webkit nightlies but who knows when will see it in the real world

2063 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Landonw says

My largest issue with “responsive” is that most devices have different PPIs. This means that from my desktop I can’t just assume what it may look like on say, an iPad. I’d need to own a TON of devices to create a “responsive” theme. As far as I know the best method of creating a responsive theme is having your wrapper change width based on device width and use retina ready images: http://www.noupe.com/design/the-mobile-web-css-image-replacement-for-retina-display-devices.html

the only thing that currently looks promising is http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-images/#the-image-resolution

I know its being built in to the webkit nightlies but who knows when will see it in the real world

Well, all browsers (forgetting IE 6 , and possibly 7) support SVG , so I say we start using SVG .

by
by
by
by
by
by