• Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • United States
+1 more
IndustrialThemes says

I’m sure I’m not the only one this has ever happened to, and it probably just means I need to increase my support authentication procedures, but for your amusement…

A little while back someone asked for support for one of my themes. I checked their site, answered many questions, gave them some advice and pointers, and even logged into the admin panel and did some tweaking free of charge, going beyond the scope of my free theme support to do a few small custom CSS changes for them as a courtesy. All in all I had responded to about 20 different support forum threads and responses from this user.

Then, after the 20th or so response, I was out of town for the weekend and wasn’t able to reply to this user’s latest question for about 24 hours (which incidentally was another custom theme modification request). The user proceeded to post a fairly hateful, angry response criticizing my support response times.

My heart wanted to lash out and scold the user for being greedy. But my head said what it always says: “be kind and understanding to each and every user if you want to earn a 5-star ThemeForest profile rating!” So I looked into the user’s latest question, which happened to lead me to a very obvious link in the footer of their site linking to… wait for it… a website where you could illegally download my theme! In fact, it linked directly to the download page, and this user took time and effort to put the link there!

All in all I estimated spending about 2 hours troubleshooting issues for this specific user, who turned out to not have even purchased my theme in the first place. Ugh.

I’m not posting this for sympathy by any means. I’m posting it A ) for your reading amusement, and B ) as a possible example of why it’s a good idea to authenticate user purchases. I know a lot of authors do that (I still don’t) and now I know the reason they do.

Feel free to respond if this has happened to you, or better yet, if you have any good advice on ways to mitigate this.

Happy Tuesday!

342 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Netherlands
LiveAtTheBBQ says

Wow, such brutality!

1518 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
webdesignerart says

AaaahhHH you such a innocent guy, but not others they want free theme free work Free Money :P

1576 posts Chris Robinson
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
contempoinc says

This is why you always need to verify your buyers, either through the API or via the normal form on your profile.

1453 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Europe
Bedros says

Shame on such people , sorry for your experience.

221 posts
  • Palestinian Territory
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
YousefShanti says

LOL , You caught him red-handed.

403 posts Code Is Poetry
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Europe
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+3 more
gljivec says

I really don’t know how they can ask for help if they steal the theme. It’s always a pleasure finding someone that didn’t buy the theme ;) I’m usually really nice to those kind of people :) .

120 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
CodBits says

Steal Vs. Support. It’s funny, they steal the themes but also asks for supports.

by
by
by
by
by
by