• Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
Bebel says

Hey there

I would like to discuss a bit about the future of the marketplace and find ways to make it more valuable to authors and buyers alike.

Personally, I don’t believe gr is still a good place to earn a descent passive income. There are way too many items accepted that are of very very low quality. That makes it hard for good files to get the exposure they deserve. For us, we stopped making files specifically for gr because it just doesn’t make sense anymore. Whenever I uploaded something in the past, it was a by product of some project but never specifically done for the marketplace.

I found three types of authors to be succesfull on gr:

-an author has a big reputation (many followers) still from the early days of gr

-an author uploads tons of files every week and every item sells like 3-5 (which adds up to a Lot of sales)

-an author “hits it” with an item and gets very successfull for a short

I don’t find this kind of author on gr:

-author creates one high quality file a week or so and makes an income from that It doesn’t seem possible!?

My thoughts: -raise the bar. Raise it high! I know some of my own files wouldn’t make it but at least there would be a reason to really work hard on something good. -make competitions

It should be the goal to have a frontpage where items last at least a few days and are from very high quality.right now, there is no reason for a top designer to come here…

What do you think? Am I right? Wrong? What do you suggest to make this a better place for everyone? (please don’t call out single items etc. :-) )

3085 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+1 more
Raincutter says

Personally, I don’t believe gr is still a good place to earn a descent passive income. There are way too many items accepted that are of very very low quality.

I’m quite in hurry now so would surely discuss it late night but the biggest point you make here is this. I had once wanted to ask whether or not the Graphicriver aesthetic guidelines are going to be improved. There are way too many low quality items on Graphicriver. Of course, I agree that some of my files might not be accepted because of high bars but to make the marketplace better and full of quality is what we all want, isn’t it?

7 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Europe
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
kkusaa says

I think that its always hard to set up a high bar (proper one) and judge the quality of items. I mean the revision system is the hardest thing. In which way to judge them? How about if the quality is really great but the reviewer doesnt like this style?

3197 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Community Ambassador
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+7 more
ThomGeskin says

Hey there Bebel,

This is definitely a topic I want to be part of. I agree with the vast majority of points you mentioned, but an instant quality “revolution” is impossible.

Any changes made to the marketplaces require extensive brainstorming and approval, which after all, any change made in point A will affect point B and so on.

Maybe we can start with specific changes and improvements, and step by step we can come closer to an “ideal” marketplace, or at least, an improvement from the current situation.

I´ll be keeping an eye out for this thread.

Great initiative.

9 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
GraphiteValley says

I totally agree with Bebel. Sad to say this, but the market is already completely overfilled by dozens of poor quality items (not offending anyone). It seems to me that a year ago the criteria for accepting new items were more prohibitive. New items were selling a dozen or several dozen times a week, now it’s vice versa, for the last dozen pages with new items, most of them have a ZERO or a sale of 1-3. I saw a fantastic quality items in my opinion, worth the big money, have sold 5 times at a price of $3. Amazing…

In my opinion the partial solution could be to introduce a list of items with zero sales (or below a certain threshold) in the past x days. Such items should go automatically to the ‘Bargain Basement’ (or similar) and removed within a specified period of time. I wouldn’t protest if among these items will be mine.

9 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
GraphiteValley says

I hope we won’t get to the point where in this market will be 100,000 files and for every single sale a new badge will be granted ;)

825 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
+1 more
InterantMedia says

I totally agree with Bebel. Sad to say this, but the market is already completely overfilled by dozens of poor quality items (not offending anyone).

Unfortunately, this is indeed true…

488 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
PixelBuffet says

Really good thread, thanks for starting this Bebel.

I’d like to say that I also agree with the general sentiment that there are just too many files accepted, and often of questionable quality. I’d have thought it would be relatively easy to announce a raise in standards, give a cut off date and then be stricter in the review process after that. They’ve done it on themeforest a couple of times.

Personally, I wouldn’t automatically remove files or discount them. Instead allow files that no longer meet the criteria to be added to the bargain basement for x months before being remove from the marketplaces permanently, at the authors discretion. If my files fall below the new standards, then I’d much rather get them some exposure in this way before being removed rather than hanging around attracting the odd sale every now and again.

It things continue in this way then it makes more sense for authors to work on releasing several poorer quality files a month, rather than a few good ones – as they’ll only get lost in the sea of files otherwise. If we got to that point, the marketplace would seriously suffer as a result.

308 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
Pandebus says

maybe it would be an option to have something like a ‘Top Item Tank’ where all items of very good quality go. these will be a bit more expensive, but way better than the rest. so then people can go there if they want t buy super quality items. if they want normal items they go to the mediocre marketplaces, and if they want cheap items they can go to the bargain basement :)

825 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
+1 more
InterantMedia says

maybe it would be an option to have something like a ‘Top Item Tank’ where all items of very good quality go. these will be a bit more expensive, but way better than the rest. so then people can go there if they want t buy super quality items. if they want normal items they go to the mediocre marketplaces, and if they want cheap items they can go to the bargain basement :)

Yes, that might be a great solution, but there will be many people offended because they don’t belong to the ‘Top Item Tank’. I don’t know if that would be fair.

by
by
by
by
by
by