+1000

399 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+3 more
aRtlessX says

2) Authors can “red flag” an item (to say:” hey guys this suck”) If an item is flagged many times it has to be deleted
That doesn’t sit well with me at all. If an author wants to raise his negative or positive personal opinion, there is the comments function for that. And even for that, you see what GR suggests: if you don’t have anything good to say, say nothing at all.

IMO the power to affect items with an evaluation that might eventually take the item down if negative, should strictly be a) reviewers of course (which basically means the item should not get approval in the first place as it already should be the case) b) to the buyer as it is with the rates system now but with the extra that the reason has to be stated. A buyer’s opinion is not only based on their personal aesthetics by just looking to the preview, but it’s much more specific to the overall quality of the file, design, structure, functionality etc b/c they rate after downloading and checking the file on all levels. If they bought it, it means that they liked what they could figure out at first look. And that’s basically the design/aesthetics from the preview image. And any negative evaluation should be explained ofcourse, b/c I believe we all pretty much had buyers that made an awful comment that wasn’t true but was based on technical ignorance.

Authors only see the preview image which mainly displays the aesthetics of the file and aesthetics comes down to personal taste. You, me or any author shouldn’t have the power to take down a file based just on our personal taste. Approval on that part should be prevented and be a responsibily of reviewers. That’s what needs to be fixed, not us authors getting the power to take down files and just by looking a preview image. Remember that this is business at the end of the day. What happens if some authors use this to get good competitive files out of the way via bad ratings?

There could be a rate system where authors could freely express their opinion even if negative and making it clear that it only concerns the general design aesthtics, but not with the extra function that after X negative votes, the files goes down.

There are items that I find bad as a desing, but if a reviewer got them approved there’s no point for me to go and say ‘this sucks’. The essense is that they shouldn’t get approval in the first place and that is what needs to be fixed.

If I’ll get the power to pottentially get your item down, I also want the power to say this item is awesome and after X positive votes, its price will automatically raise. :D

951 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+10 more
Giallo says

If an author wants to raise his negative or positive personal opinion, there is the comments function for that. And even for that, you see what GR suggests: if you don’t have anything good to say, say nothing at all.
Sorry but how can you raise a negative opinion if “you don’t have anything good to say, say nothing at all” :) And IMHO that’s correct or people would begin to attack and discuss in the items comments. But sometime I’d like to say: “hey what’s this? this is really bad!” and as I can see from the activity of this Forum post I’m not the only one.

With the actual system there aren’t negative opinions for specific items and the chance to express a negative opinion too.

It’s like your friend show you her new dress and you can only say “you’re gorgeous with this!” or just shut up. I think you would like to say her “you suck with this” so she may be buy a new one and look better. Or may be not because of my opinion, but if there are 34 persons that say this…well probably it’s true… but your friend still have the power to change or not: it’s not an order, it’s an opinion.

That’s why I would like to have a system wich helps the staff to consider keeping in the market some items, without writing any negative comment in the item but allowing authors/buyers to express a hidden negative opinion.

I never said authors could have the power to take down items, just expressing a negative hidden opinion wich arrives only to the staff.

399 posts
+3 more
aRtlessX says

Well, the example about my friend and her dress is not exactly equal to the situation b/c of the nature of the relationship and the potential implications of such critique in each (very different) case, but I get what you meant. For which I already said that there could be a system where we can express even negative opinions with a specific functionality.

You didn’t specify in your initial post what you now mention, a hidden rate system for authors that would work basically as an indication for reviewers to maybe explore the possibility of taking the item down and that being the staff’s decision at the end. The way you stated it initially gave the impression (to me at least) that you were talking about a rate system which automatically deletes files after X negative votes and that specific element is what I’m against at, not the freedom for authors to express even their negative opinion with a discretion.

The thing is, are we talking only about freedom of speech and that we want tohave the opportunity to express our opinion even if negative, or do we authors aim to have the power to affect if an item stays or not? The discussion should start there. B/c if it’s the latter, my thinking is, there shouldn’t be a need for us to be a part of that if reviewers get to do a better job at not approving ‘bad’ items. If that happens you probably won’t get the need to go and say ‘this sucks’ in the first place, and more likely we wouldn’t even be having this discussion.

3197 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Provided great feedback to improve the user experience on Envato Market
+11 more
ThomGeskin says

I’m afraid we are losing focus on what is indeed important, and the root of this thread. WHY do we want to improve the quality standard in the first place?

Is it because we want to become the elite and most premium graphic stock site in the market?

Or are we just wanting more sales, and by taking out what we consider inferior, we think our sales will increase?

In any case, we cannot forget the business aspect of the site, which has nothing to do with what we consider to be the best, but indeed with what sells.

The world is not all full of Ferraris. There is always a need for Hondas, Volkswagens etc…

Regarding judging another author’s file. Let the reviewers worry about the quality, and the clients about the sales.

One can always send a private message to another author and say the file is crap. So why not just do it? At least it’s way more honest and ethical than hiding behind a star system to click a negative view. What’s the point in that? Make his file look bad to potential buyers?

My point is, if people are sincerely concerned about helping another author improve his file, then just send a private message and the author will updated it when he can.

825 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
InterantMedia says

I’m afraid we are losing focus on what is indeed important, and the root of this thread. WHY do we want to improve the quality standard in the first place?

Is it because we want to become the elite and most premium graphic stock site in the market?

Or are we just wanting more sales, and by taking out what we consider inferior, we think our sales will increase?

In any case, we cannot forget the business aspect of the site, which has nothing to do with what we consider to be the best, but indeed with what sells.

The world is not all full of Ferraris. There is always a need for Hondas, Volkswagens etc…

Regarding judging another author’s file. Let the reviewers worry about the quality, and the clients about the sales.

One can always send a private message to another author and say the file is crap. So why not just do it? At least it’s way more honest and ethical than hiding behind a star system to click a negative view. What’s the point in that? Make his file look bad to potential buyers?

My point is, if people are sincerely concerned about helping another author improve his file, then just send a private message and the author will updated it when he can.

I don’t know, but I think there are seriously many bad files on this site. Maybe even the majority, and you say that other authors have to protect the website against these files? That would cost many days of work… ;)

3197 posts
+11 more
ThomGeskin says

I don’t know, but I think there are seriously many bad files on this site. Maybe even the majority, and you say that other authors have to protect the website against these files? That would cost many days of work… ;)

When did I say this? I simply said that if someone has a problem with another author’s file, go ahead and say it directly to the author.

825 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
InterantMedia says

When did I say this? I simply said that if someone has a problem with another author’s file, go ahead and say it directly to the author.

But the reason of this thread are the many bad files on this website. It is sometimes even a file which is available for free on an other site, in better quality. We just want to protect GraphicRiver of becoming a website full of bad stuff and there are (unfortunately) already many bad files on this website. If I read this thread in a good way, I understand that people want that the bar becomes higher to get your file approved.

There are also people who want that files get deleted after a few weeks or months of non-purchases. This means that this websites gets cleaned up. The whole purpose is to make GraphicRiver an unique website with only good and useful stuff (if I understood it right). ;)

3197 posts
+11 more
ThomGeskin says

@Interant – Yes you understood correctly. Maybe I’m a bit tired and confusing things, if that is the case, I apologize. I agree that we all want the best for the site. We just need to organize our thoughts and present a coherent proposal of change to Staff.

Anyway, I’m giving this thread a break for the day. I’ll read it all again tomorrow and try to give some objective feedback with a clear mind.

Have a great weekend everyone.

399 posts
+3 more
aRtlessX says

Exactly what Dzinc said in much fewer words than me. If you (an author) want to make a constructive criticism and your negative comment goes along with pure intentions and it’s not about hurting the file or just get the satisfaction (?) of saying ‘this sucks’, say it to the author and not publically with a rate or a negative comment.

Like I said many times, what gets in and out and whether GR becomes a place with many bad files should be the reviewers’ job and responsibility and if it’s faulty as it is now (I agree that it is up to a point), it simply should improve. That doesn’t mean that the responsibility or power for that should pass to the authors and it certainly doesn’t mean that only ‘Ferrari’s’ should be accepted.

by
by
by
by
by
by