591 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
tacoMusic says

I don’t want to start another ‘low sales’ thread, but it would be useful to know from previous authours what to expect during certain periods of the year like May-August in terms of sales. I’m assuming there’s a general ‘quiet period’ over Summer right?

And if so, do you tend to leave uploading tracks until later in the year considering a string of 0 sales would look bad? Feeling like my promotional efforts are falling on deaf ears at the moment…or that it’s just a quiet time of the year?

101 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
+1 more
JCKerosene says

I’ve been wondering that as well. Considering people take summer holidays ect. On this side of the planet anyways. Im in a bot of a dry spell last two weeks as well. Happened a month or two ago for a bit, then there was a few sales. I tend to find that start of months are better than later in the month for sales, and tues through fri are better as well.

591 posts
+2 more
tacoMusic says

With some of the more successful composers on this site, you see how well some are doing even in ‘dry’ periods, so I find myself constantly yearning after a little break for the same thing to happen to me :)

I guess we’ll have to wait and see, but I had such a good April that I got overly excited about what’s possible here I think. I suppose it’s like any business and goes up and down with the holidays / seasons.

606 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
TortoiseTree says

Hey Taco, I’m quite surprised you’re having problems, you’ve been established here for a while from what I can see. Sales have been lesser for me but still a few every few days (unlike top authors that expect AT LEAST one sale a day) so I’m not fussing too much. Nevertheless it is a bit slower than springtime, sadly I haven’t been here a whole year yet so I couldn’t say about time periods either.

I think the summer is a factor though, even though companies and corporations don’t take summer holidays, schools (most) do so I can imagine that film students that buy lots of our tracks are out.

Also, I think most of the clients are American, so it pretty much will follow the American Summer Holiday schedule (so hopefully things will be back to normal by late august/early september)!! But do tell me if I’m wrong, in the sense that clients that contact you not being from US.

Nevertheless always a good time to write more if you have a holiday or pursue side gigs!!

591 posts
+2 more
tacoMusic says

Hi TortoiseTree,

I know, the time I’ve been active is deceptive – we created this account 3 years ago (!), but only started using it in January of this year. Not sure why we didn’t just start from scratch to be honest!

I think you’re right about the school holidays influencing things, although I’m wondering who are customer base is as we have no way of knowing (I’ve only been contacted by one filmmaker from the US, so you may be right that the majority are US-based).

But yes, I think we’ll just keep plugging away at producing and refining our songs, I’ve definitely become too ‘aware’ of when sales are happening in our account, it’s unhealthy…

606 posts
  • Located in Australia
+2 more
TortoiseTree says

Hi Taco, I think i read that somewhere else on the forum that you had created the account way before actually putting music in. What I really meant was that you have a nice profile page and the branding and stuff all looks really professional so I figured that you guys already had a strong hold on how this place works… which I can see from your great music and healthy sales that it is so. I apologise if you thought I meant otherwise.

But yeah, I’ve also only been contacted once and it was from a California based public TV producer so that’s what led me to believe that most of the clients are US-based. The other thing that has led me to believe this is that almost all of my sales occur on weekdays 9am to 7 pm (to account for East coast and West coast) which falls within US office hours.

591 posts
+2 more
tacoMusic says

Hey TortoiseTree,

Thanks for your comments on our music, really appreciated. I suppose it’s always difficult to see these things in perspective as it’s relative to who you compare yourself to – I look at people like Martijn de Bont, MusicPremium and Sweetwaveaudio and I’m really impressed by how they’ve shot to the top of the sales count so quickly.

Of course, their music is superb and that plays a big part. However, sometimes it makes me think there must be more to just making good music to be successful here (and again, the term ‘successful’ is subjective). I like your Samba Brazil track btw – I trained as a Jazz pianist, so really dig those kind of tracks.

In general, we’re happy with the way things have been going despite the odd week or two of drops in sales and we’re learning how to best write for this market bit by bit (at the cost of losing our focus – most bestselling authours seem to focus on a particular genre). So I suppose, like everyone here, we just get concerned with the drop-off of sales which follows the ‘honeymoon’ period (for us, that’s been a week after the track is first shown on the homepage).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts,

Taco

PS, nice looking girl on your profile page! Are you lucky enough to know her? :)

611 posts
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+3 more
Basspartout says

PS, nice looking girl on your profile page! Are you lucky enough to know her? :)

Haha, check your profile view counter in the next few days :bigsmile:

606 posts
  • Located in Australia
+2 more
TortoiseTree says

Hey Taco, I know what you’re talking about concerning the meteoric rise of those three that you mentioned, I mean their branding is excellent and musically they are definitely there. But there is something else that brought all those sales, something intangible… believe me if I knew I’d be one of the people that you’d be quoting on the list!

There are two other authors here at AudioJungle I compare myself with in the sense of size of portfolio and when we started (January 2012 for us) and when I compare myself with them I’m fine, they are going at about the same speed I am. But here’s the thing… I’m not alone. Just like you, Taco, TortoiseTree is a collective, we figured being a team we’d do better than trying it out alone.

Can I just say that it’s really cool to see there are other people here trying it out as a team. I used to have an account where i’d go it alone but it can get really lonely watching the sales go (or not go) by oneself. As a team we’re always talking about sales, what’s good, what isn’t, what sells etc. It’s a great feeling and whenever one of sells it’s always a party. No matter what I get so much from AudioJungle aside from the money.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts as well.

Cheers, TortoiseTree

P.S. Tons of people have asked me… including my parents who were hoping that’s their future daughter-in-law LOL . Alas sadly she is not an acquaintance, I bought the photos off PhotoDune (part of our beautiful Envato network using some of the money I earned here) and am kind of using her as our “marketing ambassador” for our website. I picked her because she has a friendly look to her that I feel lots of supermodels lack!

206 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+4 more
reubenchng says

Haha, actually using a girl to promote your business would be a good idea although can be funny in a few ways. Commercial music videos have always been doing just that!

About the sale part. I’m not sure if a dry spell will hit the next two months, but I’ve always believe in 20% product creation and 80% marketing. :)

by
by
by
by
by
by