8 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
JohnFly says

Hello all,

I’ve recently launched a site http://www.geekhealth.org I would love to get some feedback/reviews by members of Theme Forest.

I’ll try to stop here frequently to respond to comments or questions.

Thanks, John Fly

323 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
shadow66142000 says

I don’t mean to be rude but you did ask for reviews…that is one of ugliest sites I’ve seen. I’m not sure if your asking for reviews on design or functionality but when a site looks like that I will not bring myself to use it, no matter how functional it is. I would consider purchasing a template.

171 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+4 more
clarklab says

the rollovers in the sidebar look sweet!

250 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
simnor says

Your first post is advertising your site, not sure whether people are gonna be happy about that on this forum, looks like spam to me.

But if you are asking for reviews I have to agree with shadow6614200029378462 lol (what do them numbers mean anyway? always wondered), your site is ugly, you really need to contemplate purchasing a template to help it out a little.

And I sure hope that you’re going to contribute to the community properly and you’re not just using this forum to advertise the site, that is not what this forum is for.

323 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
+5 more
shadow66142000 says
shadow6614200029378462
@simnor – that’s good stuff…I used this username when I started buying things from flashden a long time ago and then I uploaded a template here and wanted to change it but TF wouldn’t do it (actually now that I think about it I’m still waiting on an email back from Roma but it’s been almost a year). I decided not to delete my account because I would not have been able to support those who already purchased my files. I pulled the numbers out of my a** when I created an email address long time ago that I don’t have anymore.
130 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
+2 more
lukk says

First off, the site has a lot of great information on it and a great structure.

However, I agree with Shadow, the design could use a little rehab. Health related websites usually have a light mainly white color base, to promote a simple friendly website. Try lightening the website up a little and you’ll do great!

Good luck!

8 posts
JohnFly says

@simnor : not spam… This is my first attempt at designing and publishing a website (other than internal apps for work ). Since its my first site I didn’t want to purchase someone else’s templates, but discover how everything works for myself.

Once I get a feel for what is good vs. bad and actually have some new concepts to add to a discussion I’ll start posting regularly. Right now I don’t have enough experience.

@Everyone,

Thanks for the input. Like I said, this is my first attempt at anything besides simple web apps. I had never even touched CSS before starting this project. I think I did pretty well(for a first shot). If anyone has more tips I would love to hear them.

edit: just thought I should post that I’ve been actively reading nettuts and psdtuts for quite some time… I was just holding off reaching out to the community until I really had something everyone could look at. -thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it!

8 posts
JohnFly says

Now that some of you have looked over the site, (even suggested buying a theme) would you point me to one you think would do well for the type of site I’m trying to build?

Right now I’m using ASP .NET, no PHP , jquery(but not much).

Again, any comments or tips would be appreciated.

2529 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

If you want to stick with what you have, here is what I would do..

1) Too much beveling. Get rid of it.
2) Find a new body background. That one doesn’t look too great.
3) The sidebar buttons have to go. It’s fun to play around with different styles, but simple is always better.
4) Remove the Paypal button, and add your own. It looks tacky.
5) I’d remove the Google ads. For a new site, you’ll be lucky if you earn a few pennies.
6) Text doesn’t always have to be black. Maybe a darker shade of gray would be easier on the eyes.
Hope this helps a bit. :)

8 posts
JohnFly says

I don’t have to stick with what I came up with. I’m completely new at trying to design a functional website that would catch a persons attention.

I think I’m going to browse around here for awhile and see if I can see some themes I like…

What about the 960px width… I’ve been thinking about tearing it apart and just making a full width design.

by
by
by
by
by
by