1081 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 500+ members
+9 more
damojo says

Sorry for this but Im starting to get enormously annoyed with the behaviour of some customers…

I got used to customers expecting instant replies and free modifications to files but some people expect me to magically know why they cannot get a file to work. By magical I mean lines like: “OMG THE FILE IS NOT WORKING I CHANGED SOMETHING AND NOW ITS BROKE WHAT CAN I DO ?? THIS FILE IS CRAP !”

These are problems which in 90% of all cases could be fixed by just reading the readme file and having a little patience. I fail to understand what the cause is… Sure I can flag the comment but the bad rating stays. This is why my best file only has a 4 star rating. Maybe there are too many options? I explained every single setting in detail, added swf and html embedding examples…what else to do?? Mouthfeed everything?

Mostly I can just swallow these problems and tell myself to stay calm but right now I just need to VENT !!!!

damojo out…

Flash_Development
Flash_Development Recent Posts Threads Started
33 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Germany
Flash_Development says

Hello,

your the first one i know now from Germany like me ;) I think its not a must have to give support to your files, but if you try to make your customers satisfied your customers come back to you an buy more of your great files !!!

And buy the way i am from Leverkusen, we are neighbours ;)

1081 posts
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 500+ members
+9 more
damojo says

I know that support is not mandatory. I do give support though if its a simple issue or a question but I don’t freelance or do cutomisation (I have a fulltime job). In that case I tell people to turn to the forums for a quote on the job they need done. Works out just fine!

The issue is some people are extremely impatient and ignorant with their problems and should read helpfiles and previous file comments more.

Well… this has been discussed maybe a hundred times…I hope the file FAQ ’s will actually make this better.

Oh… and greetings form cologne to leverkusen ;)

Flash_Development
Flash_Development Recent Posts Threads Started
33 posts
  • Located in Germany
Flash_Development says

Thanks :) And try not to ruin your weekend becouse of that, i know its hard but try to relax :)

3256 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
ParkerAndKent says

The us dollar is very low lately (compared to euro) and with our commissions it’s very hard to reply to the support requests that require more than 5 minutes… but some buyers don’t understand that we cannot work for free… just ignore him and go ahead ;-)

2197 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+4 more
Nitro_Themes says

Damojo I am on your side because my customers do the same and they expect free fixing of their screw-ups. As a buyer on FD I can honestly say that some people really should take a couple night courses on how to edit xml files.

Damojo, sometimes people are just plain dumb and want you to fix their problems, ohh and btw they probably did not make a back-up of the files either.

All i can say is tell your customers that you are not doing free work for customizing the files and if they screw something up they can always download the files if they bought them and start from scratch.

Also with the replies, add it into your page that you will reply in 24-48 hours.

Ceers

5347 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
CodingJack says

Unfortunately I think some purchasers are very inexperienced. When you buy a car they don’t teach you how to drive it. Same goes with Flash. There are some basic web skills you should already possess before working with Flash.

260 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
ravenwill says

I know what you mean. I get really fed up with customers who have bought my file thinking that it must be some kind of universal module for the XML website templates on here.

When they attempt to load my files swf into a website template which has entirely different directories and setup and it doesnt work they are somehow suprised\\

The next thing I know i'm getting an email saying my file doesn't work...IT DOES WORK, its just wasn't designed with the intention of it being loaded into one swf to be loaded into another and then embedded in a completely different directory somewhere else.

PHEW this is a good post for having a rant.

by
by
by
by
by
by