49 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
ravravrav says

Firstly let me start off by saying there are some brilliantly creative people on here and they have saved me hours and hours of work.

However, I’ve noticed more and more that on the comments sections of themes questions seemed to be answered by ‘thanks for your message for support please login to our forum | send an email to xyz’

I can understand designers may find it easier to manage support requests this way but why do 90% of support requests get answered in this horribly generic way? If you have bought a number of themes (which surely is the point of the website) then it shouldn’t be expected that you have to register on different forums each time for assistance.

Just wondered on your thoughts on this, I think Envato should develop a better system for support requests for its themes. Something which will help both the developer and the buyer.

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says
I think Envato should develop a better system for support requests for its themes. Something which will help both the developer and the buyer.

This excerpt from your comment is exactly why busy authors use their own solutions because Envato have been asked to do this since pretty much day one (along with a HUGE list of other things) and none have happened – Envato see it this way I believe, support is not required and is supplied by the author, therefore the author needs to provide a solution. It’s a shame. However, not all authors have gone this route, me being one, as I also see it from the buyers point-of-view that, as you correctly mention, it’s incredibly frustrating to buy items all from the same place (theme forest) but then have to register off-site at countless different sites for support.

We all understand your issue and agree, but what are we left with to offer here? Either the comment area (just not robust enough for support at all) – contact form on profile page which works great but no one can see the same question asked numerous times with same answer, or a support forum where everything for THEIR products in is one place.

Jonathan

82 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
GJThemes says

I can fully understand your thoughts on how support is handled….for the support side of things from theme/template developers, it’s generally going to be a lot easier to manage all support for all themes made by that developer if it’s done from their site…especially if a developer has a LOT of themes. One of many benefits of having support existing on the developer’s site allows for others to help each other as well when using an onsite forum.

For myself, I can manage and provide much better support and options for each customer from my own site because I can implement many support tools like documentation, downloads, a forum, support ticket system, even a member’s only email form for direct contact.

However, it would be nice to see a support tab added to the top of an item page so that customers could use that as an option because technically, the comments tab really isn’t supposed to be used for support….although I can understand why one would still want that accessible function, hence perhaps a special support tab per item could be implemented which then sends the developer an email notification which they could respond via email…although I’m not sure how many developers would opt in for that.

But again, as Jonathan reiterated what you have mentioned, it can be incredibly frustrating for buyers of many themes to have to sign up on multiple sites for support.

3173 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
organicbee says

I think Envato should develop a better system for support requests for its themes. Something which will help both the developer and the buyer.

This excerpt from your comment is exactly why busy authors use their own solutions because Envato have been asked to do this since pretty much day one (along with a HUGE list of other things) and none have happened – Envato see it this way I believe, support is not required and is supplied by the author, therefore the author needs to provide a solution. It’s a shame. However, not all authors have gone this route, me being one, as I also see it from the buyers point-of-view that, as you correctly mention, it’s incredibly frustrating to buy items all from the same place (theme forest) but then have to register off-site at countless different sites for support.

We all understand your issue and agree, but what are we left with to offer here? Either the comment area (just not robust enough for support at all) – contact form on profile page which works great but no one can see the same question asked numerous times with same answer, or a support forum where everything for THEIR products in is one place.

Jonathan

The API could be streamlined a bit more, to make it less of a hassle for users.

that being said its pretty easy to implement on signup forms for authors

59 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
Little-Neko says

I m about to do the same (ask buyers to use mail) because there’s a major issue with comments, you dont get notification when new comments are posted (unless i missed something??)

Using mail (or forum) is easier for me, and faster response time for buyers.

82 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
GJThemes says

... you dont get notification when new comments are posted (unless i missed something??) Using mail (or forum) is easier for me, and faster response time for buyers.

Actually, that’s another good point. Nope, there are no notifications of comments and it looks bad when someone posts questions and you don’t know about it. So unless I missed something somewhere as well, it appears there are no notifications?

But the other point here is that for the buyer, getting fast support is really important, just as much as having a great theme or template, but with support handled on ones own site, the buyer does get a lot faster support turnaround.

49 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
ravravrav says

All good points and I’m glad you guys can understand where I’m coming from as a buyer. It does surprise me how basic the comments section is because you can’t even search, there’s no real consistent FAQ sections for all themes and it’s very frustrating to scroll through.

I’m hoping someone from Envato will actually spot this thread and either put something together or tell us something is in the works – heck, I think more than half the people on here would be able to improve it!

the other point here is that for the buyer, getting fast support is really important, just as much as having a great theme or template, but with support handled on ones own site, the buyer does get a lot faster support turnaround.[/quote]

Good customer support is what will keep people coming back to this site and its themes. Improving the customer support/comments section will encourage a wider range of people to start buying themes because they know they can get help if they get stuck. And it also provides people who have paid their good money for a product get assistance when they need it.

82 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
GJThemes says

I believe that if you and other buyers presented your case to the Envato staff, they would look into it more as long as there were enough enquiries about it. The reality is, it’s not the designers and developers that keeps them in business, it’s the buyers (customers) and other interested parties that spend money on their network.

However, the other key point is that hopefully every buyer does get support (just not support, but quality support) from the authors they purchase items from because support really is paramount.

445 posts
  • Austria
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
iHelp says

I am grateful about the changes Envato made to the comment section recently.
I support 2 authors via ticket system and 2 others via comments and while I prefer forum/tickets as a working environment I must say for the one that I need to reply quite a bunch of comments per day the recent changes made work easier and about twice as fast.

The author in addition actually not only developed a script that allows users to search through item comments via a search mask like in a forum but also made a secure login form to privately submit login details if needed and a proxy mask that lets me as the support person log in to the author’s account via my own login mask without knowing their password and seeing their income, so I can actually reply to the comments directly under the author’s name.
So there are definitely ways to make the best of a suboptimal situation.

I am thankful to see that something is happening! (Not sure if anybody else noticed the changes since noone mentions it…)

by
by
by
by
by
by