603 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+3 more
GravityDept says

I’ve been doing research on this and opinions seem pretty divided. If you’re using git to track development of your products, what are you keeping in the repo besides code?

Icons? Small images? PSD, FW-PNG, or AI files? Fonts? I’m not talking about content images, but any binary assets you might need to deploy the site or get a new developer’s environment set up. You’d need everything right?

Are there realistically problems with the repo bloating, or rebasing crashes on binaries? Any thoughts are appreciated.

377 posts
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
pixelgrade says

Hi. We keep just the theme on github. The rest of the assets go to Google Drive.

19 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
+4 more
prestahome says

Just use Dropbox or GDrive. Git is not an option for files like .psd, .jpg, why? For example – you can’t merge image files. I am using Git for theme and Dropbox for all of assets and “Start project” files.

603 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+3 more
GravityDept says

What if you need to compare two releases?

Seems like it would be tedious and error-prone to match up the binary assets to GDrive / Dropbox manually. Those systems also wouldn’t tell you when an asset changed, and you’d essentially be storing copies for every release. That wouldn’t really be any different than just keeping a folder of all your releases zipped up (which I already do).

The main reason for putting all assets into git would be collaboration. If you have several developers making changes to icons, for example, you might need to revert at some point or trace what has changed. Without the source files in version control it’s really possible to manage that across different developer’s computers.

1045 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+10 more
Parallelus says

We keep just our themes in a Github repo. Dropbox has been our shared file storage but I’m probably going to try something else. I’m not very impressed by Dropbox. All I ever really notice about it is the limitations.

493 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
pixelentity says

Everything but psd files, they would pollute the git repo too much imho.

by
by
by
by
by
by