2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
victoriabreton says

Hi everyone,

A friend recently purchased Jason Bobich’s FlipSite HTML theme for me. (Side note: I am referring to the HTML theme, not the Wordpress version). I customized the theme to my liking by editing the HTML in Notepad and previewing the files in Firefox. Everything seemed great!

Then… I tried uploading the files to GoDaddy.

FlipSite comes in a folder called FlipSite, with a few subfolders (_MACOSX, documentation, psd, www). The www folder is the main folder, which contains the html files and a few important subfolders – images, layout.

GoDaddy was refusing to upload these files in their folders, so I ended up uploading all of the files together in the root (main FTP ) folder. Naturally, this broke all of the links and did not display properly on my actual website. The HTML theme calls on things within their specific folders, and since they were all taken out of their folders and placed together in the main FTP section, nothing worked properly.

After researching a little bit, I downloaded FileZilla and uploaded the HTML theme successfully. Or so I thought. Everything stayed in their respective folders, so I assumed the HTML would display properly. However, when I visit my website (victoriabreton.com), I receive an error. “404 Page Not Found.”

I contacted GoDaddy about this issue, and about twelve hours later, they responded by saying, “Please note that the 404 error you see on your site at this time is a generic page not found error. You are getting this error because you do not have any valid index or default files in your root directory. I notice that you have installed WordPress to a directory titled wordpress on your account. This means that if you are trying to via that site, you need to type, victoriabreton.com/wordpress.”

Wordpress is not related to my issue. I am trying to upload the HTML theme and have it be seen properly. The staff member said that I do not have a valid index in the root directory, which I suppose is true – the FlipSite folder is in the root directory, but the index file is in the FlipSite folder (technically not the root folder). I tried uploading just the index file to the root directory, but as you would assume, nothing displays properly – it just shows the text without any images or layouts, and none of the links work because they are still in their respective folders.

I have contacted Jason Bobich (theme creator) about this but he has not responded yet, so I was wondering if anyone had encountered a similar issue. I had no idea uploading HTML to GoDaddy was this difficult, and I feel discouraged and frustrated. I apologize for the length of this post.

Thanks!

2580 posts Put a Donk On It
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+10 more
ThemeProvince says

Ditch GoDaddy.

1950 posts Do the Needful
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
+10 more
JamiGibbs says

It appears to be a general misunderstanding of how file structures work on your server. Also, you don’t have a purchaser badge on your name. Did you purchase the file from a different ThemeForest account?

2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
victoriabreton says

Yes, a friend purchased the theme for me.

1950 posts Do the Needful
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
+10 more
JamiGibbs says

Yes, a friend purchased the theme for me.

In order to receive support from ThemeForest whether it be from the author or from the forums, the purchase will need to be verified. You’ll need to post a message from your friends account in order to receive a support response.

1028 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
ThemeBlvd says

@victoriabreton I just cleared my customer support queue for the morning and came across this thread. I haven’t received any messages from you or posts on the FlipSite discussion board. On my profile page it is explained how to get customer support under the title “Custom Support”.

[update – now I see all your questions @’ed toward me on my personal twitter account. In the future please do not post support questions there.]

To answer your question:

There isn’t anything wrong with the directory structure of the theme you’ve purchased.

The “www” folder found in the theme you purchased would be the “root directory” as you’re referring to it. So you need to upload the files found in the “www” folder of the theme to the public root directory of your web hosting account.

I’ve used GoDaddy for many clients. They may have their faults, but they do provide working FTP .

If you need more support:

You can either post on the item’s discussion thread or send me a message through my profile page. However, note that you will need to ditch the “my friend purchased this theme for me” bit and sign with the account that the theme was purchased from if you require more support. I believe you’re telling the truth, but that’s just how it works with Internet pirates sailing around these parts looking for little $20-$35 nuggets of theme booty. – Hmm, that came out weird, but you get what I’m trying to say… theme booty, who says that, right?

And success!

I just saw looked at your site and I do indeed see the FlipSite theme live. It appears “Jason Bobich’s FlipSite” works after all. :-)

by
by
by
by
by
by