Going mad with a certain buyer (authors need posibility for refunding this kind of buyers)

4602 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

Just remember on the internet everyone has an opinion, but its the WAY you respond to that opinion which makes the difference – whether or not it will impact other buyers who read the conversation. Not everyone is going to agree with one person who has an extremely negative view, they will also look at how the author handles the replies, so keep things cool, short and sweet, and also try take the conversation to email when things start escalating.

573 posts Fuel Your Web
  • Won a competition
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
+5 more
Pirenko says

@ Hogash – I just don’t understand how let him/her ruin your day. If you know what you have done and also that you work hard like you said, you should never feel like that.
Block his email and don’t read any of his eventual messages here. Period.
Oh, and enjoy your day and sales, because you are doing good around here ;)

619 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
ChapterThemes says

Allright, i just today also had a buyer who activated a theme on an existing site – “Image sizes are wroonnggg – i did EVERYTHING – money back – BLAH BLAH BLAH”

I also read somebody comparing it to a car: “If i buy i want to hop in and drive”. Well, a theme NEEDS right settings, RIGHT images ETC. ETC.

Also, DON NOT buy a car if you don’t know the basics of driving. And with a theme see ‘the basics of driving’ as ‘a basic knowlegde of wordpress usage’.

Back to my buyer, as decent as i am – even though most of them talk to you like your some kind of bad kid who stole a candy – i kindly replied and trying to explain how it is.

I ended the email though, with the following lines:

To make things short: a theme can not make everything magically happen, it needs configuration and right use of images. read the docs, watch the videos – do not expect a theme to completely set everything right automatically – every theme for that matter.

@hogash Don’t let someone like that get under your skin. do not refund such an indecent person. The moment we start refunding for the wrong reasons it’s going to be very hard for everyone.

5325 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

Just remember on the internet everyone has an opinion, but its the WAY you respond to that opinion which makes the difference – whether or not it will impact other buyers who read the conversation. Not everyone is going to agree with one person who has an extremely negative view, they will also look at how the author handles the replies, so keep things cool, short and sweet, and also try take the conversation to email when things start escalating.

Good advice from someone who’s been doing this for a while.

I also had someone get under my skin recently and spent a half a day trying to prove to the guy that the item wasn’t broken like he claimed. Afterward I realized how stupid it was for me to waste all that time just because I fixated on proving him wrong. And I’ve since vowed to not let these type of circumstances to bother me so much. Because I guess it’s just the nature of the business – you can please 99/100 people but there will always be someone who’s impossible to please.

5904 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Refund is a nice way of accepting that “I always produce unstable products and still profitable from that approach”. The better approach is making decisions / considerations only for understandable buyers – not for the other ones. The buyers with fair expectations deserves more time and attention than the other ones – this will eventually lead to least talk with unfair claimers.

736 posts
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Located in United Kingdom
+7 more
josweb says

Hi all, I have started to get some rather rude and sometimes a little threatening emails from a few buyers. I always go out of my way to answer every question and sometimes end up fixing people’s sites for free. I feel that I provide good customer service, and also have run my own design business since 2006, so I am familiar with communication etc.

Anyway, I was wondering what is the best way to approach this as it’s beginning to upset me and spoil my enjoyment of selling my themes.

I’m not sure if certain people think that can do this as I’m female but it’s not nice!

Any help will be great!

104 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
pjtops says

Anyway, I was wondering what is the best way to approach this as it’s beginning to upset me and spoil my enjoyment of selling my themes.

1. Use an angry, fierce looking lion as your avatar.

2. Haven’t done this yet, but read it on a similar thread some time back & thought it was a good idea. Its about setting expectations, from the very beginning in item descriptions, documentation and profile pages of what constitutes normal item support and what doesn’t. you could also quote freelance rates for those who wan’t you to set-up or fix their sites for them.

619 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
ChapterThemes says

Today we even received an email starting like this

dude f you

That was a reply at an email we’ve send were we actualy first apologized ( for no reason but just to be decent while he didn’t explained well what was wrong and we had a general look ).

Then also giving him tips what the best thing was he could do. Give him tips about a plugin he could use for. Explaining him how WordPress works with images and some more.

Checked the theme, all was working.

All of this while he didn’t use the theme well in the first place and allready was being rude.

And then you get F you as a reply????

252 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
der says

Some users purchase a theme full of features. Then they don’t read the manual, try to do things on their own with their very limited experience related to the theme. This totally OK, this is why we authors write manuals, record screencast videos and provide support.

Then, things don’t go as they expect and start trashing the theme publicly on the theme’s comments. Things like: “This thing doesn’t work”, “The theme is very confusing”, “I want my money back”, etc.

As @digitalscience said, try to keep calm and provide a polite answer. Also, a user may have an opinion, but it is not a fact just because 1 person in a thousand complains.

In business there will always be people complaining, and not satisfied with what they get. We humans always want more. We (specially authors that do all the design & coding) work very hard to bring a feature complete theme to the masses. It usually takes months to get a theme ready for prime time.

Defend your theme and let other potential buyers reading the comments know, that your theme has no problems and that it has been tested. Otherwise, it wouldn’t have been approved in the first place. Do not, under any circumstance use bold or all caps in your reply, keep it smooth. Also, don’t apologize if you don’t have to. Additionally, don’t fear buyers just because they can rate your item.

If you are new to the marketplace (and theme development) then this is a bit different. When I got started a few years back, there were lots and lots of bugs in my first theme and things were improving with time. This may get a few people pissed off, which is normal. Just be polite, apologize for the inconvenience and fix the bugs as soon as you can. The bigger your user base, the more stable are your themes (or framework) since they have been tested in multiple server environments and configurations.

Keep it cool, be polite, defend your product, and don’t let a bored and frustrated person ruin your day.

3748 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+9 more
pezflash says

“Rudeness is the weak man’s imitation of strength.”
- Edmund Burke

by
by
by