Going mad with a certain buyer (authors need posibility for refunding this kind of buyers)

327 posts Mad Dog
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
mad_dog says

Unfortunately, SOME buyers think that by buying 50-bucks template authors owe them 25/8/366 support, free customization, and they can treat authors like sh*t…

Good saying, 100% agree with you. You won’t change the situation, you won’t create 100% working product, you won’t have only good customers… Hey guys, just read the feedbacks about Apple products, they really create awesome stuff but they have a lot of negative feedback. Just relax and be positive ;)

3751 posts
  • Located in Spain
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+9 more
pezflash says

Hey guys, just read the feedbacks about Apple products, they really create awesome stuff…

Not agree. :P

323 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
familychoice says

I can imagine that you do not want these people as your customer (I know I wouldn’t) and therefor want this additional control to ‘un-customer’ them.

Definitely, I’ve had some terrible clients. But if they’ve paid us for a website and support, then we would be sued if we decided we weren’t going to provide this. What we do have though, are strict terms and conditions which clients accept when we take on their commission, and these state we can stop providing support if we receive abusive emails from them.

I can definitely see the issues authors face from some customers, but on the whole I’ve noticed very positive feedback and politeness towards authors that provide good support for their product. If customers are abusive then maybe there needs to be a mechanism for deactivating their connection to a product.

If you don’t like the concept of stock items choose a different business model ;-)

We’ve only been using stock themes over the past couple of years, however this has become almost unavoidable as stock themes are flooding the market, leaving small web companies no option but to include themes in their business model for clients with smaller budgets.

In 99.(9)% cases authors are very polite and helpful when buyers are nice and not demanding something “ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” on Saturday evening.

I don’t see any evidence to back the 99.9% claim, based on my experience of buying and regularly checking theme feedback. Most authors yes, but not 99.9%. As for the Saturday evening thing – welcome to my world.

2. Looking at the amount some authors are making on here, compared to most web designers I’m struggling to summon up sympathy over earnings.
Hey there familychoice,
nice to meet you outside the support forum :)

Hi, thank you :) Do you provide support on Mintis forum? If so please note none of the criticisms apply to your theme. Minti (and you own support) are the best I’ve ever experienced – 5 stars! If every theme I bought was as well supported as yours I’d be very happy!

I just checked your forum history in one of the forums I work in, you opened 11

Ok, just to expand on that, here’s a summary of the reasons for each thread:

4 were bugs for which fixes were provided.

6 were requests for fixes or improvements to the theme (minti actively encourages suggestions from customers). For example there was no sitemap or archive templates so I wasn’t able to create a sitemap, or even use a plugin to create one. The blog layout required featured images to be used for every post which isn’t always practical otherwise a preset icon is displayed. Some of the requests have been included in the last update which is excellent. Some haven’t – there’s still a ton of CSS being generated in the head which we don’t like, and the shortcode ‘generator’ you promote is nothing of the sort, it just drops tags onto the page.

The reason for the requests were, as explained, that we rate the theme and support so much we’d like to use it for client sites. However the lack of a page builder and user friendly shortcode builder mean we still can’t do this. I was merely trying to help you achieve more sales, mostly from us! This was customer feedback, meant to help. If we didn’t like the theme we wouldn’t bother.

It’s not a problem, we use your theme for our own site and we love it, but with more editing tools we would buy more copies for clients.

The last request was to alert you that I’d spotted a rip-off of your theme by another author. Again I did this out of customer loyalty, not to waste your time.

332 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
-bianca- says

We’ve only been using stock themes over the past couple of years, however this has become almost unavoidable as stock themes are flooding the market, leaving small web companies no option but to include themes in their business model for clients with smaller budgets.

I see. Actually with this quote I actually was refering to the few authors I noticed around the forums here on Themeforest as I discussed. Although it applies to buyers as well I think. Marketplace term and conditions are clear. And on the subject: Not all buyers are bad fish also most of the authors are really great (at least the ones I bought from). But next to buyers and authors (aka sellers) we all are people, with different personalities, from different countries . When there are issues, some tend to get too emotional, buyers and authors. My tip to all for what it’s worth: Try to seperate the issue (the what) from the way it’s addressed (the how).

323 posts
familychoice says

Marketplace term and conditions are clear.

You think so? Themeforest are very clear about not providing support and suggest it’s down to individual authors to provide this. However, recently one theme we purchased, full to the brim with bugs, despite promoting full support on their product page, removed this when we had to ask ‘too many questions’ (requests for bug fixes and shortcode details not provided in their demo or documentation). When we queried this we were told that their support was provided ‘as a gift’ and we were ‘wasting our (their) precious time’.

This is typical of the mixed messages buyers receive – on the one hand some authors actively promote a full support service (not an optional ‘gift’), yet fail to provide this when customers require it to get their themes to work.

For me, support is 50% of the product. If it’s listed as part of the package then I expect it to be provided. If it’s not, and it’s a ‘gift’, then for heavens sake make sure this is stated on the product page.

When there are issues, some tend to get too emotional, buyers and authors. My tip to all for what it’s worth: Try to seperate the issue (the what) from the way it’s addressed (the how).

My tip, for authors, is to remember that you’re not just a developer/designer. You’re selling a product and representing your business online. Make sure you make it very clear what your clients will receive and they’ll be no room for misinterpretation, and maybe some customer facing/sales skills wouldn’t go amiss for some authors either.

1741 posts Multimedia Artistry
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+4 more
dnp_theme says

familychoice

I like you spend so much time to share your valuable feedback, thanks so much. Please allow me to explain things that I can express myself strictly IMO, with no offence and totally honest.

I always provide support. Usually when clients ask me “how can I do that like in the demo”, I just reply “please install the sample data on your testing environment and check the settings for yourself, also please check the documentation on the sample data installation”. I always push you to try things for yourself to learn instead of doing it for you, it’s in your advantage always.

If some client ask for some tiny little customization, I can do it for free. In other cases some clients come with complete custom works of their own but there is something not perfect in there, I give them that something for free, especially for those who are frequent buyers.

My documentation is really accurate and detailed on most things. I’ve spent months to write documentations in the past, I did it again for my work here, it’s all you need my friend. This should work for you in most cases. Almost all clients were satisfied with the results so far, very very few crazy people that were, IMO, some people who don’t even have an idea about decency. Most of them upload the entire zip from Themeforest and complain of broken theme, stupid isn’t it?

If there really is an issue I really pay attention to fixing it. ASAP.

If you ask for some feature, something that takes good time to develop and you are the only request, or one in a very few requests, this falls into custom work. Something I can charge a certain amount.

If you ask for custom work that can be delivered within minutes I may take them, if not… mostly not.

It’s nothing personal, it’s just like that for most of us as one man team design + development + documentation + personal life. Put yourself in this position for a minute and you may get an idea on how things really work. If you think that you pay $40-50 for a theme and expect me to do the job for you I would nicely ask you to request a refund.

As for your expectations, IMO, for your specific case, you may have to rely on higher price themes with legally backed support and you are alright, perhaps the quality of your work will get also better.

Here on the forest it is expected that you buy a theme that fully works and looks and feels the way you need, you just need to change lorem ipsum with real text and real relevant images and you are alright. Also here there is no legal framework for post purchase service or support, all authors provide support because of good morals, in a limited amount of time.

For me it is extremely difficult to teach you and thousands others how to Joomla or how to blog with WP. If you make yourself a living with themes from the forest, you should be able to handle just about anything. If you are unable to manage easy tasks, I can understand that some author would not afford the time to really do it for you. I cannot do that also.

If there really is a real code issue, you need to contact support and provide accurate debug information with steps to reproduce the issue/s, and you get refund no problemo. Stuff will also take action to notice the author and push for a positive solution. At this price level you should expect this could happen and there is no need to write million of threads to express your dissatisfaction. Simple.

I hope this helps.

DNP

323 posts
familychoice says

I hope this helps.

DNP

Hi DNP, I agree with everything you’ve said, and I’m sure you provide excellent support. But I’m not complaining about all authors, just the bad ones.

FWIW I’ve been building and developing websites for 20 years, and building custom WP themes for clients for the last 7 so I don’t need a lesson in using Wordpress. I would only contact support unless there was either:

A problem with the theme I’ve purchased – bug, browser inconsistency, security issue etc.

The documentation supplied (Word doc, online help, .pdf, demo etc.) did not include all the details required to set the theme up as in the demo.

The purchased theme did not match the demo (yes, this has happened on two occasions).

The theme features don’t match the product description on TF.

In my earlier post I mentioned making suggestions for improvement on a support forum as these were invited by the author, and because of his excellent support, alerted him to a copycat theme as a mark of loyalty. Plus I wanted to buy more copies for clients and wanted to check first if he was open to providing additional features in his update, again as a mark of loyalty – - rather than simply buying one of the newer themes which contained the extra features I required.

I fully understand there are awful customers who expect you to customise their site for free or teach them the basics of using Wordpress, but as I said if authors make this clear this is not supported on their product page, rather than hard-selling their ‘excellent support’ then there’s no case for misunderstanding.

I also understand small companies find it difficult to keep up with requests. If I was an author I would use the FAQ section more effectively and direct common queries to this page. Very few authors seem to utilise this as much as they could, and seem to answer the same queries repeatedly.

497 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Austria
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
iHelp says

Hi, thank you :) Do you provide support on Mintis forum? If so please note none of the criticisms apply to your theme. Minti (and you own support) are the best I’ve ever experienced – 5 stars! If every theme I bought was as well supported as yours I’d be very happy!

I just checked your forum history in one of the forums I work in, you opened 11

Ok, just to expand on that, here’s a summary of the reasons for each thread:

[…]

Hey there!

Yep that’s me, minti is one of the awesome authors I’m lucky to work with and provide support for :) Thank you very much for the kind words! It’s awesome to hear that the plan of providing great support works out that well, thank you so much!

As far as your threads are concerned, by no means I wanted to criticize that or degrade or ridicule the reasons for opening those. It was merely for statistic purposes. Please don’t think I meant any harm by mentioning your threads, really; you’re certainly not wasting anybody’s time. We love to have you over there and definitely appreciate your thoughts and feedback!
I’m sure minti considers every suggestion each of his buyers give in order to strive for improvements and enhancements.

On the one hand the fact that the recent update did not include a feature you liked to see does not mean it will not be implemented in a further release, but on the other hand submitting a feature request also does not automatically guarantee implementation. I don’t want to speak for minti here tho, that’s only my personal view of the situation.

Again, thanks for being a part of the community and do ask everything you want to ask!
I’ll refrain from posting further off topic to this thread now :bashful:

All the best

323 posts
familychoice says

On the one hand the fact that the recent update did not include a feature you liked to see does not mean it will not be implemented in a further release, but on the other hand submitting a feature request also does not automatically guarantee implementation.

No that’s fine, I didn’t expect it to, but Minti said he welcomed suggestions for improvements in the new version and so a few of us chipped in with some feedback. A couple of the features I wanted haven’t been included but that’s fine, it works perfectly for our own website and the new header styles are excellent.

Minti is my favourite author and an excellent example of how it can be done – as his sales now prove. There are a ton of virtually identical themes out there, some cheaper, most with additional features, but he keeps on selling well and I think that’s down to his professionalism and support. One look on his feedback page and you can tell you’re going to get a good service.

Not so good the recent theme we had problems with – just checked to see if they’d fixed the many bugs it contained and it appears the author has removed it from Themeforest – which is bad news for the hundreds of customers that bought it.

4 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
ArsGemini says

familychoice, I totally understand your problem. Item quality on Themeforest is “going down”. It looks like items are being approved as long as they look nice, but nobody cares for it’s functionality. Themes are full of bugs and getting support takes time. If I buy a theme or template, I need it to work “out of the box” and not spending another week or a month resolving issues and chatting with support.

I just purchased a theme wich is a total cr**... normally I would never complain about an author and theme, but the one I purchased (name removed – forum rules) made me so angry…

I lost my trust in authors and honestly, I am afraid to purchase another item as I think that I can expect the same problems.

by
by
by
by
by
by