403 posts I <3 WordPress
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+9 more
BoxyStudio says

I made a huge decision this week. Something I’ve been wanting to do for a long time but never had the guts (or enough sales) to go for it. I quit my full-time job and decided to create web products for a living. Right now it’s WordPress themes, who knows what in the future. I’m excited and scared all at once! I just have a quick question for those that have also taken this leap (or thinking about it):

What do you use to manage your product development and schedule? I’m one of those semi-OCD guys who needs a fairly strict schedule or things just won’t get done. Apps like Basecamp, Solo, etc. have always been great, but systems like that are created for teams doing client work—not individuals creating products. Do you know of any really fantastic management apps out there that might work for a solo-preneur product developer? Preferably with things like bug tracking, day planning, etc. Design and UX is important to me, so nothing too developer-oriented like a Ruby app you need to install yourself. ;)

Thanks in advance! :D

265 posts JoomFX.com
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has referred 200+ members
+3 more
joomfx says

Hey Justin,

Sorry for commenting here without having any advice or an answer of your questions. I just wanted to congratulate you for the decision and hopefully it will turn out as the best decision you’ve ever taken (it happens quite often indeed) ;)

Anyway, I suppose many of us are thinking about the same thing (going solo). I completely understand you about “I’m excited and scared all at once!” :D This is probably how everybody in this situation will feel.

It will be really nice and helpful if some of the full-time authors here give their opinion and advices.
I will keep a close eye on this discussion :P

403 posts I <3 WordPress
  • Won a competition
+9 more
BoxyStudio says

This community is one of the reasons I love selling on ThemeForest, so thanks very much for your encouraging words! :)

I definitely hope this thread can become one to look back on for those also considering a major shift like this.

4 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
ThemeShifters says

Hi Justin,

Great decision and I wish you best of luck! What you can use for taking notes is Evernote, which you can use while developing. It syncs, and is available for your Desktop and Mobile use. I use it while developing and all the time to takes notes when I have ideas for future or current products.

Max

403 posts I <3 WordPress
  • Won a competition
+9 more
BoxyStudio says

Great decision and I wish you best of luck! What you can use for taking notes is Evernote, which you can use while developing. It syncs, and is available for your Desktop and Mobile use. I use it while developing and all the time to takes notes when I have ideas for future or current products.

Thanks! I definitely love my Evernote. :)

377 posts
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
pixelgrade says

Related to development, if you are a single dev, all you need is Github. You can have issue tracker, milestones, etc.

577 posts Themes and Graphics
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+9 more
Bebel says

Hey,

congrats to this bold move.

I use evernote as well to keep track and have everything in order. I also plan very strict breaks. For example: I am just not very productive 3-5 o clock. So I do not even try to work that time at all. I figured being honest with yourself and the times you can archive or not archive greatly improves satisfaction. It is nice to say “I get up at 8 and work till 6 in the evening”. But If you can’t work in the morning. Stay in bed for another hour and rather work another shift later the day.

Just my personal experience ;)

5523 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Canada
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+12 more
KingDog Envato team says

Congrats Justin! I know it can be one of the most scary business decisions to make :) If you have the savings and the plan of action, then go for it!

I would say find any program or system that keeps you scheduled. Proper scheduling is one of the most important things in my opinion. Even a piece of paper that you can write down the day’s tasks on can help tremendously. Keeping your focus and working through as much of your day’s schedule as you can will mean you deliver products on time and continue to make your clients happy.

403 posts I <3 WordPress
  • Won a competition
+9 more
BoxyStudio says

Related to development, if you are a single dev, all you need is Github. You can have issue tracker, milestones, etc.

Yeah I finally started using Github on my last two themes and I love it. Looks like I need to start using the issue tracker as well. Thanks!

403 posts I <3 WordPress
  • Won a competition
+9 more
BoxyStudio says

I use evernote as well to keep track and have everything in order. I also plan very strict breaks. For example: I am just not very productive 3-5 o clock. So I do not even try to work that time at all. I figured being honest with yourself and the times you can archive or not archive greatly improves satisfaction. It is nice to say “I get up at 8 and work till 6 in the evening”. But If you can’t work in the morning. Stay in bed for another hour and rather work another shift later the day.

Great advice, thanks!

by
by
by
by
by
by