353 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
al_m473 says

I just discovered and used a Firefox tool called View Style Information and discovered that one of the site templates for sale on TF is using background images for major parts of the content area on the home page.

That is a big no-no as far as I am concerned.

It makes the page very difficult to change to what you want and was not something that I would expect to see on any template for sale here. I am not sure why the author would create their page that way, it is not that difficult to code up headings, etc and is much adaptable to what I might want to do with it if I buy the template.

that is why I want to see your code, the pretty picture revealed on the web page is not enough to entice me to buy, sorry.

Al

415 posts
  • Located in Europe
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
osigrandi says

I guess this goes in the ‘customer due diligence’ category.

Let me guess, the template you mentioned is a very popular one?

353 posts
al_m473 says

you mean there is more than one?

wow, I guess it is buyer beware and know what you are buying or really whose work you are buying, kick the tires so to speak, and no I won’t mention anything about the actual template.

Al

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

Using (CSS) background images for a design is normal. Am I missing something?

Al, if you wouldn’t mind, could you shoot me an email via my den page of the template you’re talking about? Thanks.

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

Thanks for the heads up Al. ;-)

For anyone else who reads this thread, this is not a common occurrence and is bad practice in web development that will generally result in rejection of an item submission. However, occasionally something like this will slip through but we do our absolute best to prevent it.

by
by
by
by
by
by