• Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

There’s a popular ad running in my area for a large web company offering “Free Custom Web Design”, as long as you sign up for their “maintenance” package (which you find out costs $115 a month when you visit the site). It reminded me of another widely advertised company here called offering free credit reports which is essentially running the same scam.

So it got me thinking, how come we don’t see this more often? Why doesn’t my Dentist offer “Free Dental Work” as long as I sign up for the monthly “Stick a drill in your mouth” plan? And why doesn’t my plumber advertise “Free Plumbing” as long as I sign up for the monthly “Bathroom Check” plan?

Anyway, every time I see this ad it really grinds my gears because it further perpetuates the idea that web design is easy and worth nothing. Strange how other industries don’t face the same challenge. Maybe it’s just easier to scam people with technology because most people don’t understand it.

65 posts
  • Sweden
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
dvhughes says

I think people in general think any type of design is easy and worth nothing. I have designed and implemented several websites (but it is not my focus) but have always avoided being an official webmaster. Not just because I don’t care for that particular career, but I found that it was a colossal ass-pain. Clients would always be requesting “quick fixes” that they claimed would only take 5 minutes. And then the rate discussion would turn into them wondering why I just couldn’t just do it for free because it was such a quick fix. I finally decided that if they wanted a webmaster, than I would do it if they put me on a retainer. Like a lawyer. That went nowhere, but that was fine with me.

It is quite sad. I often wonder why clients would never consider walking into a dentist’s office needing dental surgery and saying that their budget is only $200, but have absolutely no difficulty starting a design project that way.

296 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United States
CodeFusion says

The customer is present at the dentist as well as when the plumber shows up – they can see the work that goes into it.

With web design / development the labor takes place “behind the scenes” – it’s not like the customer is in the chair next to you the whole time you design / code – and most will be damned to know how hosting works.

1365 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Slovenia
Anps says

The answer on why is simple, price dumping and ignorance of clients on quality. There are a lot of people there that take this as pasive income and offer low quality quick work. So price dumping in this manor, i have a friend that has a friend that has a siszers boyfriends little kid that can do this for a kebab :) And when you show them 10k job in comparison to 50 bucks job they see no difference and that kills it… Sad :( Even here you can see someone asking for a all that project for 100 buck n there is always someone from i dont know how far that has 50 bucks montly job… In the end this is a job that has no borders and if you dont have the distatnt family/friend you can go online to find someone from dontknowereland.

4509 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

I think webdesign will become redundant in the future, everything will be dynamic, modulated and bubble gum wrapped so that the website owner basically creates whatever they want on their own, without needing someone to design it for them or even find a template that looks like something they want. With animation and aesthetics going out the window, this is where it’s heading. So I can imagine the future of owning a website as having a free website attached to a monthly subscription. Everything will be fast / quick / easy to use. Gone will be the days where you pay someone to make you something custom. I can imagine even having built in systems to automatically choose appropriate images / color themes for your website if you’re creatively challenged. Perhaps even algorithms to calculate the best layout / color scheme / imagery for your particular brand and audience which will optimize it for maximum impact. Everything will be extremely intuitive and dynamic. It be all about dynamic content delivery to target audience, whilst being cost effective and yielding the best returns. Just like Google customizes search results based on your history, so will websites adapt to the specific user to maximize returns – it be all about information architecture and user profiling!

5391 posts
  • Australia
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Australia says

The funny thing is tho … content !

We get inundated with people wanting a website, but as soon as we ask them for content …

... a vague vacant look appears in their eyes !

5766 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Every industry has its own set of issues when it comes to making the customer to understand values. False marketing is something out of our hand – it will stay forever, everywhere.

Off topic, I guess when our planet gets filled with large number of fragmented industries – while it can give lot of benefits, the same will cause misunderstanding the possibilities and values.

I feel one of the challenges the education systems going to face in the future is distinguishing “how easy or hard to do something”! And explaining how much energy it takes to create certain object / product. Without these education, life may again appear like mysterious/unstable forest, similar to how our predecessors felt few thousand years back! :D

5311 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

We get inundated with people wanting a website, but as soon as we ask them for content …

Haha everyone wants a website, nobody wants to put in the work. I used to have projects drag on forever waiting for content.

77 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • New Zealand
ChunkStudio says

I think webdesign will become redundant in the future

Then the future is here now mate.

Haha everyone wants a website, nobody wants to put in the work. I used to have projects drag on forever waiting for content.

I see ‘content’ as a great niche on microlancer (or similar).

94 posts
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Europe
Inspoir says

Large web companies like 1&1 are those who are killing the web design industry. They know very well that people don’t know s-it about web design, so they make millions of dollars out of ignorance.

by
by
by
by
by
by