• Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Attended a Community Meetup
FlatKing says

It’s a lot easier with web design as people that know nothing about websites don’t know what they need so it’s a lot easier to charge.

Free Website!Free Domain!
Free SEO
$150 A month for content builder and hosting space
Extra $300 a month if you want more than 3 pages

5277 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
CodingJack says

people that know nothing about websites don’t know what they need so it’s a lot easier to charge.

Good point. In the U.S. we recently paid around $174 million for a new government website that doesn’t actually work :D

475 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Attended a Community Meetup
FlatKing says

Good point. In the U.S. we recently paid around $174 million for a new government website that doesn’t actually work :D

Damn should’ve sent them an affiliate link to TF ahah

241 posts
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
glutenfree4u says

Maybe it’s just easier to scam people with technology because most people don’t understand it.

+1. The Advertisers know this, and won’t hesitate to use it.

6768 posts
  • Italy
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+1 more
doru says

actually that’s just a method for politicians to get the money from citizen into their pockets and is used in many areas. Nothing new there, just that the majority of the people don’t know the scam.

11 posts
  • Exclusive Author
mcc_ says

The whole themeforest with 40$ themes and lifetime support perpetuates the idea that web design is easy and worth nothing.

538 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
Typps says

There’s a popular ad running in my area for a large web company offering “Free Custom Web Design”, as long as you sign up for their “maintenance” package (which you find out costs $115 a month when you visit the site). It reminded me of another widely advertised company here called offering free credit reports which is essentially running the same scam.

Just want to point out that this is not bait-and-switch which is a form of fraud. In the examples you cited, you are receiving the advertised goods. You still get your free website, after singing up for the maintenance plan. This business model in it’s various forms is quite rampant nowadays. While it annoys me greatly and leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth, I blame myself for not looking through the service with extra scrutiny before signing up.

As for the perception that web development/design is cheap, mcc_ makes good point. Though the rise of Microstock markets is really in response to market demand. There’s still room to cater towards clients with more specific needs who don’t mind the extra costs.

I’m pretty certain that people in general are aware that there’s no such thing as a free lunch and if it’s too good to be true, then it must be false, avoiding the goods/services offered all together. Kind of reminds me of the quote “Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me” :P

32 posts
ianizaguirre says

The whole themeforest with 40$ themes and lifetime support perpetuates the idea that web design is easy and worth nothing.

So your saying using pre-made themes is bad ? Even though the designer will add customizations and content etc, so they put in the work but use a pre-made theme to start ?

by
by
by
by
by
by