3695 posts Community Moderator
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Located in Netherlands
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
Joost Volunteer moderator says

Hi guys!

Last year I was late, but this year I remembered.. Google CodeJam 2012 is about to start! It’s an anual programming contest hosted by Google – there’s a grand prize for the winner and an actual Google t-shirt for a thousand runner ups, but it’s of course great fun and practice for those of us who don’t take home the trophy ;)

This years qualifiers start next friday and last until sunday, which is also the deadline for signing up. The rules are very loose; you can program in whichever language you prefer and do whatever you like, and google accomodates various timezones in the follow-up rounds. As a way of getting acquainted with the system, you can already practise by solving previous year’s challenges.

So in short: if you’re a coder and like a challenge, be sure to check it out! :)

340 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Netherlands
+4 more
RikdeVos says

I’m in!

I just tried question A of the 2008 qualification round, and I got the right solutions :D Working in PHP is probably not the fastest, but it gets the job done!

32 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+7 more
andrew8088 says

Hey that’s cool! Thanks for posting this. Did a couple of the practice (previous) questions; might have to enter, if I can find the time to actually do it. :)

• Located in Netherlands
+9 more

I’m in! I just tried question A of the 2008 qualification round, and I got the right solutions :D Working in PHP is probably not the fastest, but it gets the job done!

A friend of mine is also competing using PHP – sure, it’s slower, but if you manage to write an efficient enough algorithm you’ll still be able to manage within the deadlines :) And, of course, having little to no type restrictions causes a lot less typecast-related headaches ;)

973 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
aaranmcguire says

did challenge 1 but cant submit it… it requires a file names Case #1: but mac does not allow : in file name… am i doing this wrong?

340 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Located in Netherlands
+4 more
RikdeVos says

did challenge 1 but cant submit it… it requires a file names Case #1: but mac does not allow : in file name… am i doing this wrong?
No, you can just send it as a .txt, but the contents of the file must look somewhat like this:
Case #1: your answer
Case #2: your answer
Case #3: your answer

Good luck to everyone! :)

2057 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
Landonw says

Problem 1 is insanely confusing, so I don’t think I’ll be participating. I’m not good with mind games!

• Located in Netherlands
+9 more

Aannnnd I’m in. Time to pop on the headphones and fire up Eclipse. See you in an hour or two :P And guys, problem one is ridiculously easy.. ;)cough Caeser Cipher cough

EDIT : I just failed twice, once on file formatting and the second error I still havn’t found – whoops xD

EDIT2 : “Judged response for input A-small: Correct!” Finally! :delicious: Friggin pesky errors!

If you guys are competing; what are your usernames? Mine’s Joost

812 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
iamthwee says

In my opinion the best languages for this has always been C++/java or c# due to the fact they have most of the libraries you need to solve these problems already in place, and you will definitely need to use a (binary) tree at some.

Now, most of these leet programmers tend to have various algorithms memorized and use shortkey macros to speed up their progress…

In general most of the problems tend to be repeated… Understanding mathematics and algorithms is key here… I think the book by knuth is a good starting point.

by
by
by
by
by
by