• Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
ArikB says
...Harvard comp sciences professors…
CS50 ? ;)

Yes :P And MIT 6 .001

Having said that, this problem set is driving me nuts.

4247 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+5 more
Aw_Shucks says

Hey Arik. Are you ever implying something about flash becoming the lesser demanded market? I’ve been reading all of these threads, and you seem to be in all of them. You make some good points and all, but I’m just wondering why a graphic river person is all the way over at Active Den bringing this to the attention of others, Yadda yadda ( I don’t know how to word it. :) )? Are you just trying to gather subjects for a potentially massive ( I’m exaggerating :P ) discussion about a dying “star” and comparing it to a brand new super nova ( html 5 )? Cus like, it seems that the only place so far that gets dramatic reference to a “lacking” about the capabilities for flash supportability is on cell phones. If Flash were ever meant to be on phones, what is the point of having a phone then? Who would you call if you’re too busy looking at a flash site? WEB DESIGN , dude. That’s the focus that Adove has with Flash. It’ll still be around. And I’m sure, definitely, that by the time HTML 5 comes around, FLASH will have superior cababilities and abilities and software improvements that would still be unique for its own market. I don’t think HTML 5 could make a website like… I can’t think of one. But some really kick ass websites that are made in flash even now kick some HTML files booty in animation and navigation. Functionality-wise… that’s usually a matter for the target/s a website has for using whatever technology it uses. But I’m saying, Flash isn’t going anywhere. Who knows, in the future, Apple might come up with a solution. They usually do, don’t they?... I’m just asking. :P

2201 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+4 more
ArikB says

Here’s how this whole circus started.

When the ipad got released I made a thread about that, but the thread eventually got hijacked and turned into a “apple/adobe/flash dying yes or no/ html5” etc. discussion. Now I didn’t want a thread about the ipad to go off topic like that so I made another thread called “is flash dying?” NOTICE THE QUESTION MARK ?

Well a bunch of people figured that I was implying that it was, so that topic got a little out of hand as well.

In general though, I visit AD for two reasons.

1) These forums are active, GR’s forums are a little too quiet.

2) The discussions interest me, but what interests me more is that arguments used here don’t really hold up all the time. Regardless of brand or product.

But if you look in a thread started by Chuckanucka (I forgot the thread name) then you can see that I’m actually all for flash staying, maybe somehow incorporated into canvas or maybe not. I don’t want flash to die.

The thing that makes flash such a hot topic is because it’s a very “responsible” technology. Unlike HTML where you can mess up very little, flash can be messed up very bad. And I guess that some people give flash a bad name and then there are other people who figure that if you can’t get rid of the bad devs, get rid of the technology. And if you are a good dev, that pisses you off, which is understandable.

As far as my opinion on apple goes. I don’t know what the hell they are up to. I just like the OS and I like my macbook. And no, I don’t own a boatload of apple stuff. One mbp and one ipod from way back.

On a final note, don’t underestimate HTML5 and what it should be able to do. The problem with HTML5 is that it’s basically a freaking prototype and imo shouldn’t be used commercially now.

4247 posts
+5 more
Aw_Shucks says
On a final note, don’t underestimate HTML5 and what it should be able to do. The problem with HTML5 is that it’s basically a freaking prototype and imo shouldn’t be used commercially now.

No problem with that. I guess I’ll just look forward to its development and release then. :)

2201 posts
+4 more
ArikB says
No problem with that. I guess I’ll just look forward to its development and release then. :)

Well it’s not like it’s software. You can use HTML5 if you want to already.

1173 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
Motionreactor says

@Aw_Shucks: What happened to your return key? did it go missing?

4247 posts
+5 more
Aw_Shucks says
@Aw_Shucks: What happened to your return key? did it go missing?

Motion’dude: For a little while. But I found it again. :P No man. It just takes up a lot of space and its really far to the right of the keyboard. Its like I have to stretch and walk a few blocks just to press it. :P

2201 posts
+4 more
ArikB says
by
by
by
by
by