• Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
aaranmcguire says

No doubt you have heard about google fiber (Google overing 1Gb/s download and upload speed).

1) Are there anyone in Kansas City who has pre-registered, if not do it now heres how http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9v11qJTG8o

2) If your not in Kansas City, where would you like google to announce fiber next?

I want UK because we can only get 100Mb/s max and they do capping if you download over a GB where google does not, and my internet goes down all the time where i bet google infrastructure is top notch. I heard that have QR coded on the modem so you can fix it your self or something like that.

If google does not branch out to other states/countries I would so move to Kansas City.

4893 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
+5 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

Without saying anything for sure, I think it’s safe to assume that it’s going to be a LONG time before this gets spread to many other places in the US and will probably feel like an eternity before it jumps the pond over to the UK. I’m fairly certain that before Google gets a chance to spread their infrastructure, other ISP ’s will just start mimicking their services to position themselves to compete.

Take Verizon FIOS for example. When I got it after it had just rolled out, I was downloading at 25Mbps. But Comcast and some other companies over here, kept upping theirs so Verizon would do the same in the name of competition. Right now Verizon’s top offering is 300Mbps (up from their 150Mbps offerings that they released just 6 months ago). Comcast has already countered with a 301Mbps offering. I’m guessing that eventually the companies will all need to keep outdoing eachother just to stay relevant. Once data speeds hit a cap, which I’m guessing will be around the 1Gbps mark, speed will no longer matter. At those speeds, you’re limited by the servers on the web and not by your own connection. Even at my current speed of 80Mbps, I rarely connect to a site that’s capable of serving content at that speed.

I do think that when most ISP ’s are in the range that Google’s Fiber is starting, and speed becomes irrelevant, they’re going to need a new area to compete within. Kind of like how camera companies used to compete with Megapixels, as that no longer matters, they’re starting to boost up other things like low light performance. I suspect when the ISP ’s hit this point, you’ll start to see things like removing data caps, or less throttling..

4893 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
+5 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

Oh and I read somewhere that the costs of the Kansas City experiment Google’s running had cost them billions to build up the infrastructure. Since they’re not renting poles or equipment from other companies. It gives them complete control over the system, but it’s also not cheap enough for any sort of mass rollout across the country.

972 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
aaranmcguire says

Oh and I read somewhere that the costs of the Kansas City experiment Google’s running had cost them billions to build up the infrastructure. Since they’re not renting poles or equipment from other companies. It gives them complete control over the system, but it’s also not cheap enough for any sort of mass rollout across the country.

Yh, It was this post, http://gizmodo.com/5929554/how-google-plans-to-turn-a-profit-on-kick-ass-gigabit-fibermaybe

The places I can see my using that speed is websites when doing backup, Plus I think it will deeply enable cloud computing because the current problem with cloud storage is what if i dont have connection but i bet Google fiber will be 99.999% uptime or at least close, and you get 1TB google drive storage..

730 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+2 more
mordauk says

I live 30 minutes away and my sister lives in KC :D

972 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
aaranmcguire says

I live 30 minutes away and my sister lives in KC :D
*knock knock*
Sister: 'Oh, Hey... This is an unexpected visit.'
You: 'Yh, Yh, wheres your WIFI box'
Sister: 'Nice to meet you too'.
HAHA , that is what I think I would do
730 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+2 more
mordauk says

I fully expect her to get it :D

1365 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
WebSmacker says

I live 3 hours away from KC and go to football games all of the time. I may roll down some neighborhoods and look for open WIFI networks to try it out LOL J /K

972 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
aaranmcguire says

I live 3 hours away from KC and go to football games all of the time. I may roll down some neighborhoods and look for open WIFI networks to try it out LOL J /K

Im unsure but I bet google will require to put a password on the wifi.

3365 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred more than 2000 users
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

Im unsure but I bet google will require to put a password on the wifi.

How could they enforce that? Unless there is some sort of Google-specific router with that security built in.

by
by
by
by
by
by