632 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Thecodingdude says

The big issue to make it relevant for remote working is for the upload speed to be equally fast. I sometimes need to shift a couple of gigs around for a job. (up and download). Some jobs could do with moving a terabyte of data over the web, but that’s just in fantasy land at the moment.

Although If the upload were 25% of the download, you could shift 1TB in about 8-10 hours.

What’s the upload speed likely to be for Google fiber?

I just fear that as speeds for data transfer become faster, people will become lazy and stop compressing their files or start making file sizes bigger, thus rendering the new speed pointless…

5180 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
+12 more
felt_tips Moderator says

Depends what you’re doing. I work in film. Each frame these days is a 16bit 4096×2304 image and on a particular job there may be 3 hours of rushes. Of course you use compression, and of course the data size is still vast.

That’s actually what I’d like to see – transfer rates where you can just forget about compression and push stuff around as though it were a hard drive. Recompressing 3 hours of 4k material takes a looooong time.

I do remember my 28.8k dial-up though. I’ll never be a completely lazy *.

1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
bjohnston says

This is really exciting. I live in Southern CA, and am really looking forward to how this plays out with ISP competition.

But almost just as exciting, is the elegance of the site itself. Someone should make a WP theme. Or, well, maybe I’ll just do it myself.

313 posts Codestar
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+7 more
Codestar says

Boo! Internet speeds 100 times faster! sounds good! :)

639 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
+1 more
Crakken says

Now we’ll know that GF doesn’t stand for GirlFriend anymore.

61 posts
aves01 says

I wish that my country have these kind of internet speeds.. my internet is 1 mbps/s and I download this max of 200 kbs/s :)

1479 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
PixelBin says

Don’t forget that for those types of speeds, you need an ethernet cable. Wi-Fi will cap you at ~160Mbps and will make it feel like the same ol’ internet you can find anywhere, even through popular ISPs like Verizon & Comcast.

973 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
aaranmcguire says

Don’t forget that for those types of speeds, you need an ethernet cable. Wi-Fi will cap you at ~160Mbps and will make it feel like the same ol’ internet you can find anywhere, even through popular ISPs like Verizon & Comcast.

You have the wrong Wi-Fi, 802.11n does ~300Mbps and the new Wi-Fi 802.11ac can be around 1Gbps+

1479 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
+6 more
PixelBin says

You have the wrong Wi-Fi, 802.11n does ~300Mbps and the new Wi-Fi 802.11ac can be around 1Gbps+

That’s what the standard is meant to support but most routers don’t go nearly that high (unless something changed recently—wasn’t like this when I purchased my router). And ac isn’t available to consumers yet so yet again, even if you are in the Kansas City area, you still won’t be seeing the 1Gbps speeds unless you’re hard wired.

106 posts
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Won a competition
+2 more
ActionFoundry says

I live in the south east of the UK and the fastest download speed I’ve managed to get in my home is just under 2.5mb/s with an upload of .5mb/s! (Leave projects uploading over night) Google fiber get yo ass to sunny Bexhill-On-Sea!

by
by
by
by
by
by