629 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
Thecodingdude says

The big issue to make it relevant for remote working is for the upload speed to be equally fast. I sometimes need to shift a couple of gigs around for a job. (up and download). Some jobs could do with moving a terabyte of data over the web, but that’s just in fantasy land at the moment.

Although If the upload were 25% of the download, you could shift 1TB in about 8-10 hours.

What’s the upload speed likely to be for Google fiber?

I just fear that as speeds for data transfer become faster, people will become lazy and stop compressing their files or start making file sizes bigger, thus rendering the new speed pointless…

4792 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • United Kingdom
+5 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

Depends what you’re doing. I work in film. Each frame these days is a 16bit 4096×2304 image and on a particular job there may be 3 hours of rushes. Of course you use compression, and of course the data size is still vast.

That’s actually what I’d like to see – transfer rates where you can just forget about compression and push stuff around as though it were a hard drive. Recompressing 3 hours of 4k material takes a looooong time.

I do remember my 28.8k dial-up though. I’ll never be a completely lazy *.

1 post
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
bjohnston says

This is really exciting. I live in Southern CA, and am really looking forward to how this plays out with ISP competition.

But almost just as exciting, is the elegance of the site itself. Someone should make a WP theme. Or, well, maybe I’ll just do it myself.

302 posts Codestar
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
+2 more
Codestar says

Boo! Internet speeds 100 times faster! sounds good! :)

639 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Haiti
Crakken says

Now we’ll know that GF doesn’t stand for GirlFriend anymore.

61 posts
aves01 says

I wish that my country have these kind of internet speeds.. my internet is 1 mbps/s and I download this max of 200 kbs/s :)

1475 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

Don’t forget that for those types of speeds, you need an ethernet cable. Wi-Fi will cap you at ~160Mbps and will make it feel like the same ol’ internet you can find anywhere, even through popular ISPs like Verizon & Comcast.

972 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
aaranmcguire says

Don’t forget that for those types of speeds, you need an ethernet cable. Wi-Fi will cap you at ~160Mbps and will make it feel like the same ol’ internet you can find anywhere, even through popular ISPs like Verizon & Comcast.

You have the wrong Wi-Fi, 802.11n does ~300Mbps and the new Wi-Fi 802.11ac can be around 1Gbps+

1475 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

You have the wrong Wi-Fi, 802.11n does ~300Mbps and the new Wi-Fi 802.11ac can be around 1Gbps+

That’s what the standard is meant to support but most routers don’t go nearly that high (unless something changed recently—wasn’t like this when I purchased my router). And ac isn’t available to consumers yet so yet again, even if you are in the Kansas City area, you still won’t be seeing the 1Gbps speeds unless you’re hard wired.

100 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
ActionFoundry says

I live in the south east of the UK and the fastest download speed I’ve managed to get in my home is just under 2.5mb/s with an upload of .5mb/s! (Leave projects uploading over night) Google fiber get yo ass to sunny Bexhill-On-Sea!

by
by
by
by
by
by