I though I should make use of the wonderful Envato Marketplace API we have available and I built a simple Google Gadget that displays the balance of a given account, by accessing the vitals.xml function. The gadget can be used with iGoogle and you need a Google account in order to use it.
I have tested it with Google Chrome and Internet Explorer 7. For some reason it does not work with Mozilla Firefox right now, but I’ll try to solve this problem as soon as I have some more spare time.
Steps to configure the gadget:
1. Open iGoogle and log in with your Google account
2. Press the ‘Add Stuff’ link (on the right side of the screen, under the search box and the buttons)
3. Press the ‘Add feed or gadget’ link (on the lower left side of the screen)
4. In the textbox that appears, enter the URL : http://webcodecenter.com/flashden_gadget.xml
5. Press the ‘Add’ button
6. When you get the ‘This feature was not created by Google…’ message press OK.
7. Now go back to the iGoogle page and enter you Flashden User Name and Api Key parameters, press ‘Save’ and watch how your balance rises
If you’re stuck with the Google warning message at step 6 that says that data you enter may be available to the feature’s provider, I guarantee that’s not the case. You can see this for yourself by accessing http://webcodecenter.com/flashden_gadget.xml in a browser (this returns an XML file which contains the entire source code for the gadget). The parameter values are saved as Google gadget preferences which are only available when logged in with your Google account.
If you need help discovering what the source code does, you can check out the Google Gadgets API Reference.
I have checked and it works in Firefox too, as long as you stick to English (www.google.com/ig).
On Firefox, I had Google set to Romanian and it went to www.google.ro/ig. On this page, the browser throws an error because it doesn’t seem to recognize on of the google’s js libraries that gadgets are based on. Probably a Google bug on the .ro page…
The error occurs for other languages as well, not only for .ro. IE is also affected, just like Firefox.
The conclusion is that it works fine as long as you access the .com link.
Now it works in all browsers and for all countries.
Hi MSFX !
I updated the gadget and now it has a dollar sign. I wish you to have many more digits after it!
- Please read our community guidelines. Self promotion and discussion of piracy is not allowed.
- Open a support ticket if you would like specific help with your account, deposits or purchases.
- Item Support by authors is optional and may vary. Please see the Support tab on each item page.
Most of all, enjoy your time here. Thank you for being a valued Envato community member.