4343 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says

If you can’t install Google Chrome and you must use Internet Explorer, there’s a way to use Google Chrome’s rendering engine inside IE: Google Chrome Frame. After installing the plug-in, you can test it by adding cf: in front of any URL from the address bar.

They can add a meta tag at the top of a web page and enable the Google Chrome plug-in:

<meta content="chrome=1" http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" />

Read the rest here guys

This works fine in Internet Explorer 6, 7, and 8 on Windows Vista / XP SP2 .

319 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
imaginem says

For a moment i thought that came from the onion dot com

I just hope this doesn’t make IE any popular. :p

4343 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says
I just hope this doesn’t make IE any popular. :p

Of course not, but It´ll give us a solution

1. If Google Chrome Frame is not installed, you can direct your users to an installation page.
  2. If Google Chrome Frame is installed, it detects the tag you added and works automatically.
2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

I wonder how this will effect IE6 ’s market share. Maybe when people use the plugin it will show up as someone using Chrome?

Maybe this can be an alternate option for IE6 compatibility?

319 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+5 more
imaginem says

Yup, it sounds good. am gonna try it.

833 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
+8 more
wpbakery says

Why would someone install a plugin? I think that MOST of the IE6 users are very low educated in “computer science” and that’s why they don’t upgrade IE. So I doubt that they will install a plugin…

922 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+13 more
MDNW says

Brutal business move by Google, and I love it!

+12 more
jremick Envato team says
Why would someone install a plugin? I think that MOST of the IE6 users are very low educated in “computer science” and that’s why they don’t upgrade IE. So I doubt that they will install a plugin…

Not true actually. Yes, a lot of IE6 users are in the lower realm of computer intelligence but that’s only a smaller percentage of the 13-15% whole. There is a large percentage of businesses that can’t (won’t?) upgrade because they’ve built software that relies on IE6 or their employee’s don’t actually need a browser for work so it’s unnecessary to upgrade systems (and employees aren’t allowed).

Whatever the reason, there is a much greater chance that users will install a plugin rather than a completely new browser. Plus, this gives those who aren’t allowed to upgrade their browser, the ability to upgrade without really upgrading.

352 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+6 more
danharper says

Unfortunately, I can’t see this helping very much.

• Visitors will have to install a plugin for it to work. I don’t know about you, but if I visit a site and it asks me to install a plugin for just this site to use, I’ll more often than not leave. (there’s no way this will become common enough for the average user to visit more than one site telling them to install the plugin).
  • Most IE6 users are using it because their workplace/school won’t upgrade to something else – I’m assuming their same policy would apply to installing browser extensions.
  • The others, are largely not smart enough to install a new browser. They won’t understand how to install a plugin.

I was hoping this would be some kind of JavaScript plugin, not a client-based solution :(

Either way, major props to the Google team!

+12 more
jremick Envato team says
Unfortunately, I can’t see this helping very much.
  • Visitors will have to install a plugin for it to work. I don’t know about you, but if I visit a site and it asks me to install a plugin for just this site to use, I’ll more often than not leave. (there’s no way this will become common enough for the average user to visit more than one site telling them to install the plugin).
  • Most IE6 users are using it because their workplace/school won’t upgrade to something else – I’m assuming their same policy would apply to installing browser extensions.
  • The others, are largely not smart enough to install a new browser. They won’t understand how to install a plugin.

I was hoping this would be some kind of JavaScript plugin, not a client-based solution :(

Either way, major props to the Google team!

I wouldn’t count it out yet. If there’s one thing I’ve learned in life, it’s to never say never. I’ve also been contacted by several people who wanted to view my blog in IE6 but weren’t allowed to upgrade their browser. Several of them even asked if there was a plugin or something they could install. (They can install a plugin but not a better browser? I know, wtf?)

I also know a lot of people who install plugins without thinking twice (a lot of people do this). Unfortunately these are the same people who most commonly end up messing up their computer, lol.

I have high hopes for this plugin but I also had hoped a server side (or just non-intrusive) solution would have surfaced already.

by
by
by
by
by
by