5 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
subwaydriver says

Hi All,

We just got rejected because we use google font via GoogleAPI link in our template.

The Reviewer says: Please provide local font files intead of the GoogleAPIs link. Your customers should be able to use your file when they’re offline.

We checked that a lot of templates are using this method and it seems to be the easiest also for buyers.

So this is not acceptable anymore with new templates? I guess so but I don’t really understand the reasoning behind it. Has anyone else also been rejected because of this?

109 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Exclusive Author
elemis says

If this will be the case from now on, what should we do? Use @font-face? It won’t be the easiest way to add fonts for the users for sure. It’s 2013. Can anyone possibly be “offline”? :D

990 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+2 more
purethemes says

Seems like some new rules are being applied to Review Process (first TimThumb was rejected, now this) Maybe someone should inform us about it?

5 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Exclusive Author
subwaydriver says

If this will be the case from now on, what should we do? Use @font-face? It won’t be the easiest way to add fonts for the users for sure. It’s 2013. Can anyone possibly be “offline”? :D

Yes that’s what I don’t understand either. A web developer who’s working offline.

2566 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Community Ambassador
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Beta Tester
+14 more
contrastblack Staff says

Seems like some new rules are being applied to Review Process (first TimThumb was rejected, now this) Maybe someone should inform us about it?
http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/reject-due-to-usage-of-timthumb/86464?page=4#727022 <—sort of did that :P

The Review Team is indeed currently working on this, and as I said in that thread, a Notes post will be up as soon as everything is clear.

Thanks

3507 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

The Review Team is indeed currently working on this, and as I said in that thread, a Notes post will be up as soon as everything is clear.

A Notes Post must be put up BEFORE REJECTING THEMES!!! I’m sorry man, but this is 100% incompetency here..

You can’t reject themes without any prior notice.. You just can’t!!!

1748 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Beta Tester
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
+3 more
FinalDestiny says

Most of the themes have the option to easily switch fonts from google web fonts, you can’t expect us to load 300 fonts with font-face in order to let the users easily switch from a font to another.

This is insane and I have to agree with Ruben

990 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+2 more
purethemes says

@RubenBristian Exactly this. This is just a waste of our time. Now people with rejected items must redo the same thing according to new standards.

1675 posts Multimedia Artistry
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
dnp_theme says

I think rejection for this reason is absurd. The WEB development is designed for ONLINE users only, while more and more services provide fonts, why should we make them available offline?

I have tried saving 250* fonts for this purpose and it’s just useless!! Here’s why:
  • a theme/template becomes QUITE A FEW MEGABYTES of CSS and fonts
  • using all charsets, variants and styles makes them amazingly slow, AND adds even more space taken
  • most of the users work online, keep up with updates, tutorials, support mails and/or tickets… you cannot tell me people work OFFLINE while they’re on the plane and / or the train, that is .. .

ENVATO: Do you have any relevant research on how many clients actually develop OFFLINE?

Come on review team, relax!! WE ARE NOT GOING TO DO THIS.

3507 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

The Reviewer says: Please provide local font files intead of the GoogleAPIs link. Your customers should be able to use your file when they’re offline.

Correct me if i’m wrong here, but i am 99% sure that we are not allowed to include fonts in our packages.

So guys .. stick to Arial!!!! Funny thing .. the theme that i’m now working on is 100% Arial :D

by
by
by
by
by
by