1473 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
OriginalEXE says

Cool, so as long as we’re using a reasonable font stack that falls back to system fonts, we should be good? That seems reasonable :)

Yup :)

Some authors use hard coded links and the Admin Panel takes 6/7secs to load, which — as you may know — it’s unacceptable.
Hahaha, I once saw a theme (not on this marketplace) where author would load all the fonts in the header (on the frontend) and then would just add rule to his css based on user choice :)
1677 posts Multimedia Artistry
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+4 more
dnp_theme says

Guys please relax,

First of all we’re going to announce the changes soon but the Team is currently working as fast as they can to make this happen as soon as possible via a Notes post.

Okay so let’s clarify this a little bit:

You can use the Google Fonts Directory to load the fonts in your theme but if the links cannot be loaded for whatever reason it should fall back to another regular font. Themes should degrade gracefully when they’re offline.

@subwaydriver feel free to resubmit.

If the fonts cannot be loaded because the user’s offline, We could only provide a limited number of fonts available offline, imagine 600+ fonts…. it’s just not gonna happen…. BUT man why push for such a thing… HAVE ANYBODY EVER COMPLAINED?

+4 more
dnp_theme says

Cool, so as long as we’re using a reasonable font stack that falls back to system fonts, we should be good? That seems reasonable :)

Yup :)

Some authors use hard coded links and the Admin Panel takes 6/7secs to load, which — as you may know — it’s unacceptable.

Man, my latest code allows user to copy paste the font name and everything is automatically done, no pain, no stress. I would be very unhappy to get reject after so much hard work, really.

80 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+5 more
Thunderbuddies says

Guys please relax,

First of all we’re going to announce the changes soon but the Team is currently working as fast as they can to make this happen as soon as possible via a Notes post.

Okay so let’s clarify this a little bit:

You can use the Google Fonts Directory to load the fonts in your theme but if the links cannot be loaded for whatever reason it should fall back to another regular font. Themes should degrade gracefully when they’re offline.

@subwaydriver feel free to resubmit.

Hi Ivor,

thanks a lot for the feedback. We made this theme together with subwaydriver, and already resubmited the file without the google font :( We will make later an update than with the google fonts also included.

Anyway, we had fallback to system fonts also, so this is why we were even more surprised.

Thanks again,

tb

4323 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says

If the fonts cannot be loaded because the user’s offline, We could only provide a limited number of fonts available offline, imagine 600+ fonts…. it’s just not gonna happen…. BUT man why push for such a thing… HAVE ANYBODY EVER COMPLAINED?

I’m talking about system fonts: Arial, Helvetica, etc.

4323 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says

Hi Ivor,

thanks a lot for the feedback. We made this theme together with subwaydriver, and already resubmited the file without the google font :( We will make later an update than with the google fonts also included.

Anyway, we had fallback to system fonts also, so this is why we were even more surprised.

Thanks again,

tb

Yeah sorry for the confusion guys, feel free to update after we approve it.

+4 more
dnp_theme says

I’m talking about system fonts: Arial, Helvetica, etc.

Thanks

2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
aamit_wraj says

Why (and how) on earth a user will open a website if he is supposedly OFFLINE ? Can we call it a TF Paradox :)

And we as a developer will always ensure for graceful fallback in case of connection goes haywire in the middle of surfing or one testing it on XAMPP or the likes.

I’m still awaiting an official reply as this came as a setback to me as well who is in the middle of a theme development.

357 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
billyf says

Why (and how) on earth a user will open a website if he is supposedly OFFLINE ? Can we call it a TF Paradox :)
I guess what they meant by ‘offline’ is that the font (which is hosted by Google) goes offline, making it unable to be loaded in the page, not the whole website / the user being ‘offline’.
3748 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+9 more
pezflash says

^ Google going offline? Well, that can happen very rarely.
Also, if that’s the reason, what about all the calls on hundreds themes to jquery scripts on http://ajax.googleapis.com ?

by
by
by
by
by
by