• Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bulgaria
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
Protest says

A client hired me to do a template project for him. After I finished the job I showed him a preview of the project. He approved it and sent my payment through PayPal. I withdrew the money. An hour later I received an email that there’s an open dispute in PayPal with an unauthorized payment and now my balance is a few hundred dollars negative.

The dispute is still open and I went through some threads on PayPal’s forums only to find out that the buyer wins 99% of these unauthorized payment disputes and they are a very common thing even on eBay.

It’s the first time I’m being scammed like this, it feels like I’ve been robbed of my time and effort. I guess the buyer just logged in from another computer for the first time and then filed an unauthorized payment ticket.

Any advices what can I do to win this? Because it seems that it’s all up to PayPal now to investigate the issue (I’m guessing just to check if his ip’s different and never been used to approve payments before) and I don’t like my odds.

2954 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+10 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

Grab some screenshots (and even email headers) showing a history of the client requesting the work, sending the previews, etc..

Wack it all in a document and send it through the dispute as an attachment.

This way paypal can see the client requested the work and was asked to pay via paypal.

However you might have some troubles resolving this if the client did really use a stolen paypal account or a stolen credit card. ie: it might not be the clients money that was sent to you, it might actually be someone elses.

Best of luck!

353 posts
  • Bulgaria
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
Protest says

Thanks, dtbaker. However he used a different email than his PayPal account. He really could have used someone elses money. But what protects us authors from this type of cases every now and then if a buyer almost always wins those disputes. It’s PayPal’s job to ensure maximum security on their accounts and I’m being doublecrossed for their mistake.

235 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United Kingdom
phpdude says

Here in England we have a small claims court. You fill out a form online and pay something like £20 or £40 and prove they owe you money, and then the client will get a court summons. By proving they owe you money this can be done via emails agreeing to the cost or a signed specification. Again, here in England an email acknowledging charges is a legal acceptance of the work and therefore considered a contract.

Now, this is how it works in England, I’m not sure if this is the case in the rest of the UK, but given that you’re in Europe I’d think that there would be something similar where you are.

In the interim I suggest you write a detailed account of correspondence between you and the client and provide email proof and send it to Paypal. If you’re acting on behalf of a company make sure you that state this and show that your history with Paypal is decent and fraud free and that for the past X years you’ve been consistent with your Paypal transactions.

I’m not sure how helpful I’m being here, but hopefully it’ll point you in the right direction. Also, if all else fails and you lose the money make sure you check you local laws before exposing the client and it could be deemed slander.

Wish you the best buddy :)

94 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
erwin_schro says

I experienced this once and even I have attached all emails from client as a prove (he used 2 different emails), PayPal can’t do anything for us.

PayPal sucks!! that’s the only thing i can scream of.

5388 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Australia says
2037 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Germany
+2 more
Creattive says

hm… is it on purpose that your posts don’t appear australia?

5388 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Australia says

Not sure what is going on, I just realised I started both posts with a < and followed by an i

^ the above is < followed by i and seems to have ignited a black hole in the forums llol
2037 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Germany
+2 more
Creattive says
3430 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner