3085 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
Raincutter says

I would like to know if we’re allowed to use GPL and LPGL licensed assets in our items here at envato. TBH , I didn’t really get a clue what they are even after reading them from top to bottom. I guess we can possibly submit item with GPL licensed assets but I’d like to make sure about what both of these licenses means, if anyone could explain it.

2201 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
ArikB says

We get gpl/lgpl submissions on a very rare basis. I am not sure, but I think you can’t because lgpl/gpl are software licenses or intended to license software libraries. I’d mail support just to be sure.

3085 posts
+6 more
Raincutter says
We get gpl/lgpl submissions on a very rare basis. I am not sure, but I think you can’t because lgpl/gpl are software licenses or intended to license software libraries. I’d mail support just to be sure.

Thanks Arik.

I was confused because of the same reason. Everything in that license refers to software. The problem is that I have used icons in my item which are GPL and LGPL licensed. So I would just like to know if it’s allowed or not.

SinestesiaDesign
SinestesiaDesign Recent Posts Threads Started
254 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+4 more
SinestesiaDesign says

GPL licensed art is quite rare :o , basically you are allowed to use it but must distribute the license and any other copyright notices with the icons. And you’d have to license whatever work is based on those icons as GPL too. (“Any library/code that relies on GPL code has to be released under GPL or a GPL compatible license.”).

I’m not completely sure how GPL can be applied to images though. But I guess they were licensed that way so they could be used in GPL applications/libraries (since Creative Commons is not compatible). Here’s a good explanation: http://wpsplash.com/licensing-explained-for-wordpress-theme-and-plugin-developers/

3085 posts
+6 more
Raincutter says
GPL licensed art is quite rare :o , basically you are allowed to use it but must distribute the license and any other copyright notices with the icons. And you’d have to license whatever work is based on those icons as GPL too. (“Any library/code that relies on GPL code has to be released under GPL or a GPL compatible license.”).

I’m not completely sure how GPL can be applied to images though. But I guess they were licensed that way so they could be used in GPL applications/libraries (since Creative Commons is not compatible). Here’s a good explanation: http://wpsplash.com/licensing-explained-for-wordpress-theme-and-plugin-developers/

As I said, it’s confusion already. I wonder if Arik has asked staff and got any reply. I don’t know if I should send a mail in case if Arik already did that.

2201 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
ArikB says

As I said, it’s confusion already. I wonder if Arik has asked staff and got any reply. I don’t know if I should send a mail in case if Arik already did that.

I told you to send a mail, meaning you should send a mail. :)

However it seems to me that the answer is no because we wouldn’t allow you to redistribute derivative work as GPL . But as I said, I’m not allowed to officially answer licensing questions, meaning this isn’t an official staff response, meaning you should e-mail support.

3085 posts
+6 more
Raincutter says

I told you to send a mail, meaning you should send a mail. :)

However it seems to me that the answer is no because we wouldn’t allow you to redistribute derivative work as GPL . But as I said, I’m not allowed to officially answer licensing questions, meaning this isn’t an official staff response, meaning you should e-mail support.

oops… misread. :D lol I guess I’ll remove it anyway but just to be sure will mail support today so that I’d remain informative about it in the future. Thank you Arik.

by
by
by
by
by
by