207 posts
  • Located in Canada
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
DanyDuchaine says

Hey guys, just want to know if we can still use FlexSlider in our themes. I just read this and I’m not sure if I understand :

“FlexSlider is no longer licensed under the MIT license. FlexSlider now shares the common licensed used for all WooThemes themes, GPLv2. Please keep this in mind for before undertaking proprietary forking adventures.”

I tweeted the author but I just can’t wait to see what he’ll say so I’m asking you guys :)

29 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Argentina
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
aprjnet says

Waiting for an answer too! :( I have an theme ready to launch, and made it with FlexSlider :/

149 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+1 more
IulianN says
to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software
https://github.com/woothemes/FlexSlider/blob/master/LICENSE.txt I don’t see any reasone to not use it in our themes.
922 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+13 more
MDNW says
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the “Software”), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions: ...

Translation: You’re allowed to use it with your themes so long as you include a copy of the license text along with the distributed files and don’t expect the Flexslider authors to provide support. :)

207 posts
  • Located in Canada
+5 more
DanyDuchaine says

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the “Software”), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions: ...
Translation: You’re allowed to use it with your themes so long as you include a copy of the license text along with the distributed files and don’t expect the Flexslider authors to provide support. :)

Thanks Brandon!

I was talking about FlexSlider2 : https://github.com/woothemes/FlexSlider/tree/FlexSlider2

It’s probably the same licence though, am I right?

398 posts
  • Located in United States
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
+4 more
WPExplorer says

FlexSlider 2 is in beta, but from what I’ve heard it should be done very soon. I would go with version 1 until 2 is finalized.

922 posts
+13 more
MDNW says

Ahhh! Thanks for the clarification – yeah, I don’t think FS2 is out yet officially… who knows with WT running things, but I’d kinda assume that it’s going to be released under the same GPL2 since that’s what they run a lot of their addons under. Who knows though ;)

As a side note, I’ve personally been digging on this slider: http://caroufredsel.frebsite.nl/ ... tons of killer possibilities and responsive-friendly (my newer themes all use it). Lots more options from a programming standpoint than Flexslider … not sure about Flexslider 2.

Hope that helps out!

207 posts
  • Located in Canada
+5 more
DanyDuchaine says

Hey guys, I’ve had the “OK” from the author of the slider : https://twitter.com/#!/mbmufffin/status/200008490872356865

Thanks for the suggestion Brandon, that slider look pretty amazing. Will definitly use it.

922 posts
+13 more
MDNW says

Nice! Thanks for following up on this Dany!

29 posts
  • Located in Argentina
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
aprjnet says

Wow… good news! :)

by
by
by
by
by