^ oh, competition everywhere! :)

615 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Typps says

I’ve always been skeptical towards this option being provided as the market place is working well without it already. I’m surprised with the survey results, however, it could very well work out for all involved. Licensing alone isn’t enough of an incentive for users to buy from you.

When you decide to sell a product, there is a unicity attached that only you can provide i.e. support, frequent updates, how you listen to your clients and respond accordingly. Being a large marketplace, it might just pan out for a lot of authors and this is also what Wordpress advocates.

This means the marketplace will receive proper endorsement directly from the source. Blessings from Wordpress itself could turn out to be a game changer, you never know ^^

Edit: In addition, if your planning to use the GPL option on your items, then you might as well setup your very own forums that only buying users can access. The current commenting section on items isn’t the best way to provide good support and it is accessible to all.

41 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
Caldazar says

+1 Typps for getting how free software works.

It all boils down to the question whether piracy / free-riding is

a) a pricing problem => then the GPL sceptics here are right with the “can’t compete with free” philosophy

b) a service problem => then the licence and DMCA doesn’t matter at all and you’d better use your time to compete in the field you actually get paid for: service & convenience, being the real deal.

5311 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

Yeah, i was also really surprised that so many people would opt for 100% GPL. Maybe they did not understand that if they do that, others can purchase their themes and resell them as they are..
We can make a bet how fast there will be a “themeforestbundles.com” site selling a bunch of 100% GPL themes for a fraction of their price. And yes, 100% legally.

If we were forced to license full GPL I’d be pissed off if someone was selling my stuff on a bundle site. But if you have the choice, you really don’t have the right to be upset. Just my 2c.

5221 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Support Staff
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
+9 more
KingDog Staff says

If we were forced to license full GPL I’d be pissed off if someone was selling my stuff on a bundle site. But if you have the choice, you really don’t have the right to be upset. Just my 2c.

No worries, no one is going to force you to go full GPL :)

3747 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+5 more
pezflash says

Yeah, no one forced us to give support.

:P

5766 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • India
+3 more
VF says

^ Buyers won’t going to request full GPL thing to authors. And major part of purchases still going to happen for utilization rather than distribution – so this will differ a lot from item support trends. And will stay safely within author’s own interest / spirit.

What itches me is authors got choice for 100% GPL thing, due to open source’s guidelines. But for the other things like Extended Licenses opt-in, Developer License etc we are forced to live with what is already available. Who cares about author’s flexibility anyway.

5311 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

What itches me is authors got choice for 100% GPL thing, due to open source’s guidelines. But for the other things like Extended Licenses opt-in, Developer License etc we are forced to live with what is already available. Who cares about author’s flexibility anyway.

I hear you, but I think this was made a priority because of the pressure from WordPress people. And it’s probably important to make an effort to keep those people happy considering that TF is such huge business here.

153 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Exclusive Author
ait says

Yeah, no one forced us to give support.

:P

That’s exactly where I was going to :) I can image first 5 comments on our newly released theme “I’d buy it if it was GPL.”...

by
by
by
by
by
by