3545 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

No worries, no one is going to force you to go full GPL :)

Yeah, no one forced us to give support.

:P
That’s exactly where I was going to :) I can image first 5 comments on our newly released theme “I’d buy it if it was GPL.”...

I don’t believe that the average buyer has an idea of what GPL is or that it does matter for him.. Because the GPL thing came from wp.org not from the buyers..

169 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
ait says

That’s exactly where I was going to :) I can image first 5 comments on our newly released theme “I’d buy it if it was GPL.”...
I don’t believe that the average buyer has an idea of what GPL is or that it does matter for him.. Because the GPL thing came from wp.org not from the buyers..

Kind of true, but it’s very clear that GPL themes can be used on more than one project without any restriction. Regular license can be only used once. That’s enough to know to ask for it.

1004 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+7 more
purethemes says

Actually I’m pretty sure the average buyer simply doesn’t care about licenses and doesn’t read them, he/she wants to buy theme and setup a website, that’s all.

5351 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

Kind of true, but it’s very clear that GPL themes can be used on more than one project without any restriction. Regular license can be only used once. That’s enough to know to ask for it.

Wow never thought of it like that. This has the potential to create a huge competitive advantage for authors offering full GPL. Imagine an item advertised with these words:

“This theme (or plugin) is 100% GPL. That means you can use it however many times you want without ever having to buy it again!”

We need to create a rule against this type of promotion. Because going 100% GPL should be done because you care about complying with WordPress, NOT to gain a competitive advantage. And if this competitive unbalance starts to occur, it means we’re ALL going to be forced to go full GPL just to compete. :(

169 posts
+5 more
ait says

Wow never thought of it like that. This has the potential to create a huge competitive advantage for authors offering full GPL. Imagine an item advertised with these words:

“This theme (or plugin) is 100% GPL. That means you can use it however many times you want without ever having to buy it again!”

We need to create a rule against this type of promotion. Because going 100% GPL should be done because you care about complying with WordPress, NOT to gain a competitive advantage. And if this competitive unbalance starts to occur, it means we’re ALL going to be forced to go full GPL just to compete. :(

The only way it’s safe to sell 100% GPL theme is to sell them as hosted service like wordpress.com does. You never get your 100% GPL theme you paid for, if you want another website with your 100% GPL theme, you need to pay again. That’s the GPL spirit :)

3545 posts Ruben Bristian
+10 more
KrownThemes says

If this happens, bye bye ThemeForest :D

59 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
Little-Neko says

Well if i understood well, 100% GPL theme can’t include CC premium sliders or page builder everyone use now (unless they – most unlikely – go GPL too) And 100% GPL should be higher price than split license right?

So i dont see the competitive advantage of it. Maybe i m missing something…

169 posts
+5 more
ait says

Well if i understood well, 100% GPL theme can’t include CC premium sliders or page builder everyone use now (unless they – most unlikely – go GPL too) And 100% GPL should be higher price than split license right? So i dont see the competitive advantage of it. Maybe i m missing something…

It’s not yet known what the price of 100% GPL themes will be. We have to wait for some announcement, I just hope we’ll get more info sooner than actual license changes will go live.

6000 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
VF says

It would be not ethical to request an author to stop conveying the features/advantages of GPL they opted for.

That’s why I always moan about not having developer license (for plugins). As long as we fail to give proper way of utilization/choice, one day or another day a loop hole will serve that. Think about CodeCanyon’s WP plugins.

Personally I don’t consider missing repeat purchase of full website themes as a problem (as it is a rare case a buyer repeating same theme for multiple clients/websites). When it comes to WP plugins, we all know how things can turn.

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+5 more
Japh Envato team says

Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know that I’m keeping track of this thread and will be raising the points you make internally to be sure we consider them.

Thanks for your generally positive feedback! It is a big change, to be sure.

by
by
by
by
by
by