• Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

No worries, no one is going to force you to go full GPL :)

Yeah, no one forced us to give support.

:P
That’s exactly where I was going to :) I can image first 5 comments on our newly released theme “I’d buy it if it was GPL.”...

I don’t believe that the average buyer has an idea of what GPL is or that it does matter for him.. Because the GPL thing came from wp.org not from the buyers..

155 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Exclusive Author
ait says

That’s exactly where I was going to :) I can image first 5 comments on our newly released theme “I’d buy it if it was GPL.”...
I don’t believe that the average buyer has an idea of what GPL is or that it does matter for him.. Because the GPL thing came from wp.org not from the buyers..

Kind of true, but it’s very clear that GPL themes can be used on more than one project without any restriction. Regular license can be only used once. That’s enough to know to ask for it.

990 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+2 more
purethemes says

Actually I’m pretty sure the average buyer simply doesn’t care about licenses and doesn’t read them, he/she wants to buy theme and setup a website, that’s all.

5313 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

Kind of true, but it’s very clear that GPL themes can be used on more than one project without any restriction. Regular license can be only used once. That’s enough to know to ask for it.

Wow never thought of it like that. This has the potential to create a huge competitive advantage for authors offering full GPL. Imagine an item advertised with these words:

“This theme (or plugin) is 100% GPL. That means you can use it however many times you want without ever having to buy it again!”

We need to create a rule against this type of promotion. Because going 100% GPL should be done because you care about complying with WordPress, NOT to gain a competitive advantage. And if this competitive unbalance starts to occur, it means we’re ALL going to be forced to go full GPL just to compete. :(

155 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
ait says

Wow never thought of it like that. This has the potential to create a huge competitive advantage for authors offering full GPL. Imagine an item advertised with these words:

“This theme (or plugin) is 100% GPL. That means you can use it however many times you want without ever having to buy it again!”

We need to create a rule against this type of promotion. Because going 100% GPL should be done because you care about complying with WordPress, NOT to gain a competitive advantage. And if this competitive unbalance starts to occur, it means we’re ALL going to be forced to go full GPL just to compete. :(

The only way it’s safe to sell 100% GPL theme is to sell them as hosted service like wordpress.com does. You never get your 100% GPL theme you paid for, if you want another website with your 100% GPL theme, you need to pay again. That’s the GPL spirit :)

3448 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

If this happens, bye bye ThemeForest :D

59 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
Little-Neko says

Well if i understood well, 100% GPL theme can’t include CC premium sliders or page builder everyone use now (unless they – most unlikely – go GPL too) And 100% GPL should be higher price than split license right?

So i dont see the competitive advantage of it. Maybe i m missing something…

155 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
ait says

Well if i understood well, 100% GPL theme can’t include CC premium sliders or page builder everyone use now (unless they – most unlikely – go GPL too) And 100% GPL should be higher price than split license right? So i dont see the competitive advantage of it. Maybe i m missing something…

It’s not yet known what the price of 100% GPL themes will be. We have to wait for some announcement, I just hope we’ll get more info sooner than actual license changes will go live.

5767 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • India
+3 more
VF says

It would be not ethical to request an author to stop conveying the features/advantages of GPL they opted for.

That’s why I always moan about not having developer license (for plugins). As long as we fail to give proper way of utilization/choice, one day or another day a loop hole will serve that. Think about CodeCanyon’s WP plugins.

Personally I don’t consider missing repeat purchase of full website themes as a problem (as it is a rare case a buyer repeating same theme for multiple clients/websites). When it comes to WP plugins, we all know how things can turn.

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
Japh Staff says

Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know that I’m keeping track of this thread and will be raising the points you make internally to be sure we consider them.

Thanks for your generally positive feedback! It is a big change, to be sure.

by
by
by
by
by
by