238 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Mastergreed says

“Ranting” again :P (please tell my if I already ranted about this, recently I have this weird thing to post on forums very same things I was posting/thinking one year ago).

So, do you have something like this, that when you have finally finished the theme for ThemeForest, and you think it’s the best theme you have ever designed, yet it have no sales, or it’s selling bad?

But the theme you have designed which you believe isn’t very good, yet it got accepted, is becoming your bestseller?

This is weird. It would mean that the less you like your theme, the better it’s going to sell.

What do you think?

2283 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
jonathan01 says

haha interesting concept – not sure really – I kinda like my designs and they have / are selling ok (thankfully!) however I have been struggling with a new design for a couple of weeks on color scheme and so maybe I should just push it out and test your theory :)

478 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
kevinsturf says

I can see this happening to some of the templates on here, but I guess it’s style in which the people like. Not based on how well you think it is a designer. It’s always about what the customers think of it and how they can use it for themselves.

629 posts
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
+9 more
Kriesi says

3 months ago I wouldnt have agreed but the last worpdress theme i submitted, which at least to my mind, is far superior to any other ive created, sells only mediocre whereas the theme I submitted before that one, which i thought isnt that nice sells like crazy.

So yes, you are not alone ;D However, i am not yet convienced that “the less you like your theme the better it sells” is true ;D

If my next theme doesnt sell good (to my mind it is again far superior to my older ones) I will start creating crap to verify your theory ^^

364 posts Onuro
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
ThemeKioken says

+1 on that.

My assumption though; is that buyers put high cusomizability more than the design of the theme. So far the best selling themes are more like both best design & highly customizable ones.

Mine that I call “my best designs” never sell good as my others, since they have pretty heavy graphics with a little bit over-styled which makes them just a little harder to customize.

1603 posts Chris Robinson
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
contempoinc says
My assumption though; is that buyers put high cusomizability more than the design of the theme. So far the best selling themes are more like both best design & highly customizable ones. Mine that I call “my best designs” never sell good as my others, since they have pretty heavy graphics with a little bit over-styled which makes them just a little harder to customize.

+1, my next theme I’m trying something a little bit different creating a solid clean base, not heavy on design with a lot of features and customization options. Giving the user something to work off of, instead of work into, I guess you could say.

238 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Mastergreed says

Uff, good to know I’m not alone with these feelings… or maybe we’re all getting paranoid? Nah :P

Well, maybe someone should run some complex research regarding bestsellers here on Theme Forest to find out what’s behind them?

On the other hand, we might follow the path of Tao and keep making themes, remembering at the same time that it’s the passive income source, and one should not expect earning $500 in one night (still, it would be cool).

88 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
Gyro says

Haha, I get that sometimes too. Not so much for my own designs, but the designs around here. I ocassionally glance upon designs that i think “wow, this is really original” but it doesnt sell. And then once in a while I chance upon some bestsellers that makes me think, “wait, what!?”. Guess aesthetics are not the only factor. Usability and adaptability probably pay a huge role too ;)

78 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
adiacone says

I just uploaded my first theme last night. This morning I got up and found out it has been approved and I already made a few bucks. I’m not getting my hopes up just yet, but I’ll let you know how that goes.

Thing is… I focused more on creating something a bit different and that is very easy to skin and less on complex admin panels. That’s probably why the price is a bit lower than what I expected. But that might be my edge, the low price / cool theme. That is if I’m not the only one who thinks is cool. ;)

@Mastergreed: you were right on the money with that last comment. In the end, this is passive income, you get only a percentage of what you sell, so I guess one of the ingredients is to create many themes.

82 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
mehrpadin says

Hi,

I think buyers don’t pay much attention to the quality; To them, the very only important thing is the look&feel.

by
by
by
by
by
by