2309 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
theflyingtinman says
ya yesterday , i crossed the street over and over because i played frogger…

Well you may laugh about games influencing real life behavior but once, when a friend and I were playing a race track driving game all day at work I nearly wiped out a few time driving home that night. The game had almost completely desensitized me to the consequences of aggressive driving. Next morning my friend came to work on his bike; he had pranged his car on the way home!

So now I’m a bit skeptical when I hear people saying video games have no influence on real life behavior.

( but I still like GTA :) )

412 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
AlexH says

Awesome game! :D

only con is that all these fags grasp the chance to express their beliefs on videogames, and how bad they are. Their examples of mentally unstable people who actually go out on the streets and start killing people, supposedly because of the games they played. :?

Pisses me off. :X

Anyway, I’m also waiting for the pc version.

2671 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Chuckanucka says

rubbish, if anything a game like GTA is good for people as it provides a safe outlet for their aggression.

915 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
michaelhejja says

We were just talking about it in our office…..so one of the managers went out and bought it and we’re going to play it for the rest of the day.

2309 posts
+5 more
theflyingtinman says
...only con is that all these fags grasp the chance to express their beliefs on videogames, and how bad they are. Their examples of mentally unstable people who actually go out on the streets and start killing people, supposedly because of the games they played. :?

Violent video games don’t necessarily turn players into mentally unstable people who actually go out on the streets and start killing people, but they do seem to turn them into morons who sit at home calling people who disagree with their own unfounded beliefs “fags” ;)

932 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
JWG says
...only con is that all these fags grasp the chance to express their beliefs on videogames, and how bad they are. Their examples of mentally unstable people who actually go out on the streets and start killing people, supposedly because of the games they played. :?

Violent video games don’t necessarily turn players into mentally unstable people who actually go out on the streets and start killing people, but they do seem to turn them into morons who sit at home calling people who disagree with their own unfounded beliefs “fags” ;)

:) HAHAHA

732 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
URanimEnigma says

Who said who’s a cigarette? I don’t like cigarettes. “There, take that ozone, and it’s just because I want my lungs to turn black!.” “What, are you mad or something?” “Nope. All that matters is that your lungs are black. So everything is a okay.” HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA !!!

Stupid cigarettes!!

3072 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
wickedpixel says

well… if games makes you kill people.. then don’t play them… :D
I don’t believe that we are talking about this…
I like to play games because i enjoy the graphics, the artificial intelligence and technology invested in that game… i never thought about games as a mental disorder trigger.

732 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
URanimEnigma says

Well, I was mentally ill. 8 years ago I was diagnosed with schizophrenia and psychosis . During many times when I played games I came across some strange incidents. They would start talking to me. LOL It was Scary. But I played anyway cus I knew I was sick. But now that I think about it, It’s kinda funny.

But I don’t kill people and I don’t wanna.

2309 posts
+5 more
theflyingtinman says

No one claims they are necessarily a trigger for mental disorders. That’s how the people who refuse to believe that video games have any effect at all exaggerate and characterize the claims of those of us who disagree with them, in a feeble attempt to make our claims appear less credible.

I have first hand experience of how a realistic simulation can desensitize the user to the consequences of behavior to which they would normally be averse. Not only the race car example I wrote about above, but I also spent a good deal of my career creating virtual reality simulations for psychologists who used those simulations to do just that. Mainly to conquer irrational fears and aversions, such as heights, spiders, etc. And they worked!

So if people can be made less averse to irrational aversions such as handling bugs or walking across high bridges then why should anyone assume that t simulations can’t desensitize some users (not all users, of course, but some) to more rational aversions such as violent action or committing crimes.

Stating that it never happens just because it never happened to you is not very scientific, and certainly not evidence of your misguided beliefs.

But I still can’t wait to get my hands on “Liberty City” :)

by
by
by
by
by
by