13 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
adrianpelletier says

I’ve been noticing a few recent files that have very strong resemblance to the Apple website and other Mac browser and application styles. I am not attempting to point fingers at anyone (hence, no links to specific files) but I’m curious what the rules are regarding this matter. For example, one file looks identical to the top navigation bar of the Apple website. How is that allowed? If a designer were to copy the entire Apple site and upload to ThemeForest, the file would undoubtedly be rejected. So why would copying only a part of the Apple site, such as the navigation, be accepted here on GraphicRiver?

Again, I’m not trying to ban anyone’s files or anything like, I’m simply trying to learn more so I can know what guidelines to follow in my own designs.

EDIT : I see that I’ve misspelled “mimicking” in the title. My apologies!

1125 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+5 more
hansv says

If you think a file is breaking copyright rules, there is a link to report the file. Report the file and let the team from Envato take a look at the problem.

9 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
HelloAstronaut says

It’s not illegal nor copyright mimicking a websites design feature. You could mimick a websites look provided that it was created from scratch and all images, etc were also created by you.

As picasso once said: Good designers copy, great designers steal.

http://www.sitepoint.com/article/copy-great-designers-steal/

13 posts
+2 more
adrianpelletier says

I would like to hear from the GR staff on this as well. It’s an interesting question: Does recreating the graphics allow you to copy someone else’s design style? I certainly don’t believe so.

13 posts
+2 more
adrianpelletier says

@dwayne12: I can assure you, Cameron Moll’s article was NOT suggesting to blatantly steal other people’s designs. His point was to not reinvent the wheel with every website and learn from lessons other designers have already discovered. You should have read the last paragraph of that same article, which states:

“This article wouldn’t be complete without a warning to be careful when copying well-known sources. If I were to summarize this warning in one sentence, this would be my golden verbiage: copy the inspiration, not the outcome.

“For example, since the introduction of the iMac, Apple’s design has been inspired by a very liquid and visually tangible look and feel, coupled with a ‘less is more’ attitude.

“A beautifully rendered copy of the inspiration behind Apple’s design leads to something like MailFrontier.com

“At the opposite end of the spectrum, a horribly blatant copy of the outcome of Apple’s design leads to something like uSight.com

“In short, be careful what you copy, and how you copy. Take the time to make the design your own, or you’ll land a spot as the latest design thief on Pirated-Sites.com.”

by
by
by
by
by
by