2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

EDIT : Sorry this turned out so long! Thanks for your patience for whoever decides to read through it. :)

DDStudios… I completely understand that you are upset and you feel the system could be better. Let me be the first to tell you that the system could be better. ThemeForest is such a new website that it is going to take time to develop into a smoothly running machine. Keep in mind that Envato can’t afford to hire several people to do a job that isn’t even a part time position. ThemeForest needs to grow more before hiring more reviewers.

If you disagree with my decision on your template, you are always welcome to contact the site manager or start a post here (in the forums) to discuss it further. There have been times when many members have disagreed with the reviewer and felt a template should have been approved… by popular demand the template was approved.

As you can see, several people agree that your template needs additional work before it should be accepted. Something you should try to keep in mind is that ThemeForest (and other Envato marketplaces) is a give and take relationship between Envato and their authors (and vice versa). Envato provides authors with marketing, a marketplace, tools, etc. to make money but at the same time authors provide Envato with high quality premium templates. That means Envato sets the bar and chooses which templates meet their standards for approval, not the authors. At the same time, if the majority feels a certain way, Envato will cater to the majority.

Let me also be the first to admit that I am indeed not the best desiger (who is?). You should know, however, that an eye for design can be very different from the capability and skill to express such design. I may not be the most skilled person in creating designs or being creative but I might be good at seeing/knowing what good design is. A good example is food critics. Most food critics can’t cook, but they do know what good food tastes like and know how to evaluate cooking and food.

Now, about my template you claim I copied.

1) As you know, the rules are such that you do not post links to other people’s work nor do you disrespect them publicly. If you have a problem with another author/member you should contact support or the site manager.

2) I have asked a copyright consultant to review my template in contrast to the other web site. a) You cannot copyright a design concept. Although my overall style and general colors are similar, that is not enough to constitute copyright infringement. b) I did not copy that site; however, I view up to hundreds of designs per day. When I built that template I had an idea and inspiration which may have been due to that site. That does not mean I copied it. The execution of layout, styles, typography, functionality, sub pages, etc. are actually quite different even though the general design concept is quite similar.

3) There are thousands of websites and templates across the internet that look the very very similar. I bet I could find websites similar to most templates online. That doesn’t constitute copyright infringement.

4) You should trust Jeffrey and the rest of the Envato staff. If this template is a problem, something will be done. If you have a problem with this, you should contact Envato but don’t post about it in the forums.

You have a right to your opinion but how you express that must be carefully considered. Disrespecting other authors is not allowed on the forums. Like I said earlier, if you have a problem you should contact support or Jeffrey.

Finally, I am sorry to hear you want to leave. I really do think you have a lot of potential, skill and creativity. I understand how frustrating it can be to have your hard work turned down. I hope you reconsider and stay with us here at ThemeForest/Envato as we all just want to bring the best out in each other and provide the best quality products on the web. :)

2952 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
DDStudios says

Wow .. that is a nice message , honnestly.

You handled that better than me , maybe you took more time before answering my message than I took after you rejected my theme lol. Ok I apologize sincerely , attack you wasnt my purpose at all.

Here is my suggestion , before submitting HTML theme , we should be able to send the PSD for an authorization on the design only ... once the design itself is accepted , the author can code it .. and submit it coded .. then .. the only way it can be rejected is if the code is bad (doesnt validate , bad spacing etc etc)

You ask me to change the layout when the whole thing is coded , this is pretty annoying :)

I hope this wont go any further , I wish to work here more because I love the place so much and I see the potential money wise and creative wise .. but please … make some change really soon on the reviewing process .. it pisses me off so bad … having to re-touch my PSD , I don’t care .. but Html is really different .. even more when I don’t know exactly what you want .. I can’t come with something totally new , it will take me a lot of time …

Again thanks for the answer , Im sorry for my reaction … and im not the best designer either :)

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

If someone asked me to change the layout of something I had built I would feel a little frustrated as well. I think that’s totally normal. :)

I wasn’t trying to ask you to change your layout as much as revising it. The individual sections are fine for the most part but it doesn’t work very well if they are all stacked on top of each other. I understand what you were aiming for here though. :)

What I would really like to see is some nice javascript implementation. You could use AJAX to load each section into the body content space without the need to reload the page (this option would be different than what most people are using right now) or you could use a fade in/out script or even the javascript content slider idea (probably the most used right now).

That way you don’t have all the content loading into one giant space or multiple navigation’s.

If you need help with any of that, feel free to start a thread in the forums. I’d be happy to help. :)

As far as having the design approved… You can indeed submit it to the PSD category (although the design standards are a little higher) and once approved there, code and submit to the HTML category. OR You could post a thread in the forums requesting that a reviewer take a look at it before you submit it. I peruse the forums fairly often so it’s pretty likely I’ll reply. Maybe not right away but eventually. Jeffrey is also around and replies frequently so I’m sure he would give his input as well. :)

So does this mean you’ll stay? We all get frustrated and upset sometimes, just part of human nature. I look forward to seeing more of your work! :D

2952 posts
+10 more
DDStudios says

Yeah I’ll stay lol .. oh BTW .. just broke up with my GF today .. maybe that played a role in that story lol .. sorry for that and I really appreciate your help .. I will rebuild the design with that base and show it on the forum before coding it ..

I just learned Html/CSS last week so its painful for me to come up with something solid , without any bug .. so having to redo it is hard to hear :P

Thanks

burningstonecold
burningstonecold Recent Posts Threads Started
143 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
burningstonecold says

DDStudios,

I can understand your upset, I’ve had a file or two rejected in my time here, and yes i did get annoyed, but i dealt with it. By going back, and looking at the comments and working out what they felt was wrong and how i could improve it.

But, as a little suggestion, after looking at your template portfolio they all seem to be around the same concept of one page sites and very similar layout, including the ones at the top of this thread.

Why don’t you take the challenge and try and design/develop something completely different to those templates – different layout, functionality, etc.

While this not only is different it will expand your toolkit and help you become a better designer.

698 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
+10 more
segen says
Although my overall style and general colors are similar, that is not enough to constitute copyright infringement. b) I did not copy that site; The execution of layout, styles, typography, functionality, sub pages, etc. are actually quite different even though the general design concept is quite similar.

I agree. Inspiration is ok. To copy means to have almost exactly the same layout and structure, which is not the case here.

2952 posts
+10 more
DDStudios says

@burningstonecold :

I think you didnt read what I wrote :) I have 2 PSD theme and 2 HTML theme .. 3 of them have been reject 1-3 times .. im ok with that , this cas was different from everybody who complain about being rejected ..

Thanks

2529 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

DDStudios,

As Jarel said, it’s not a perfect system. However, I can promise you that most systems come down to the ‘opinions’ of a few people. Music, art, drama, etc. Before becoming a web developer, I was studying to be a professional songwriter/musician. I was at the mercy of one person’s opinion 100% of the time. But, that’s the way it is unfortunately.

If you honestly feel that the reviewer was at fault, you’re always welcome to contact me directly – sitemanager@themeforest.net. I will then review the template myself to offer a second opinion. There have been a few times when a decision has been overturned, or a price has been increased.

Like I said, the system isn’t perfect; but we do our absolute best. :)

In reference to the copyright support question, we reviewed the case and ultimately determined that infringement did not occur. Out of respect for the author, I’ve removed the links from your initial thread. As you can imagine, it’s a bit inappropriate for a public forum.

All the best to you, and please – stay with us!

Jeffrey

2952 posts
+10 more
DDStudios says

Thanks Jeffrey , I appreciate your support

by
by
by