28 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
notroyal says

=== Why We’ve Declined Your Submission ===

1) You need to polish it just a tiny tad more. Clean up the colors some, they look somewhat dirty.

2) Red cap – Make use of better shading and use a better red color to make it look less dull.

3) Hair – Shadows, lights and color need a tad more work.

4) Skin – He looks dirty. Make better use of the shadows and try adding some minor light effects to really make his skin pop.

5) Pants – Looks quite flat, add a couple more creases and thy might look a bit better.

6) Shoes – They just look flat. Work on colors and try adding some shadows to make them look less flat.

On a sidenote: If you feel I should continue reviewing this file, please add this note to the comment to reviewer field. “hold for **” then explain what you’ve updated.

Seems kinda harsh? Considering what does get approved in the graphics category… What do you guys think? Liam

30 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
oldfashioned says

Hey there man!

As you know design is subjective, so what you might feel is cool and useful, others might find “dirty, dull and flat”.

I am not an illustrator but I would have given you the same correction guidelines as the reviewer. I wouldn’t however have expressed it that way, that’s for sure. They get quite inappropriate sometimes :/

Give it another hour or two of work and polishing and resubmit :) Address the issues the reviewer mentioned and I am sure it’ll pass! :)

Good luck.

28 posts
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
notroyal says

Hey man,

I know your work!

I love your ui kits :D

I resubmitted after changes – fingers crossed ;)

Liam

ConstantinPotorac
ConstantinPotorac Recent Posts Threads Started
645 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+7 more
ConstantinPotorac Reviewer says

The issue here is that you are refusing to look at other similar files in the marketplace to understand better the quality we are looking for.

Consider searching for similar Character items and look closely to details and the work other authors have put into their files.

Even the characters you have in your portfolio already approved are a good example of the work you need to put into this rejected item.

481 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
Lifer says

Man, you are very lucky to get a rejection with such detailed suggestions…That means your item as an idea is acceptable, just in need of some tweeks. Follow those suggestions and it WILL get accepted.

Good luck.

243 posts
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
deiby says

Not harsh at all! I think you are totally taking it the wrong way. He is actually trying to help you out a lot. I would love your reviewers, most people just get canned replies which can be very non-specific.

1837 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
ShermanJackson says

Hey Bro! I would have to agree with the reviewer. You are so talented, I can’t do a stitch of what you can but, as a viewer, the colors and shading is a little flat. What makes it worse is the over-sized opaque copy of the character. I would not use a dull gray background for preview. All this just adds to the “flatness”.

784 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
Amrhamza says

Man, you are very lucky to get a rejection with such detailed suggestions…That means your item as an idea is acceptable, just in need of some tweeks. Follow those suggestions and it WILL get accepted. Good luck.

Totally Agree 100+

43 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Spain
Perspectivaes says

Hi Liam, I understand your frustration, we put a lot of energy and passion in our works and a rejection “hurts” both on a professional and personal level.

Personally, after a lot of rejections :), I developed a strategy: when I receive the rejection I read the explanations of the reviewer and I don’t do anything ( meaning that I don’t rush to compare my work with the ones in the market place ), I just let a day pass. The day after I’m way more cool and I can see the reasons of the reviewer objectively.

In your case I don’t find the mail of the reviewer harsh at all, I think it is straight to the point and also very well detailed, I wish all the rejections I received were like this.

Good luck

34 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
smithunltd says

I think it is a good effort.

He just needs some more lighting, I can understand the dirty part but can’t explain it :).

Oh and he looks startled, just fix the eyes and the light on the pupils as they are out a bit, hope you understand and get through with your submission.

by
by
by
by
by
by