200 posts
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
Gigguk says

Title says it all. For the last 4 months I have been addicted to writing music, for 4 months, I have stayed in my house, writing songs all day long or playing to instruments (piano, guitar mainly). I have completely lost touch with all my friends, family and society in general, I simply ignore everyone’s calls and rarely go out to do something. Music has become the ultimate drug for me, some days it makes me forget to eat or even sleep, I may work for 15-20 hours in a row with my only break being visiting audiojungle forum and dashboard or my email. I know what I’m doing is wrong and yet I never stop getting pleasure and satisfaction from this, I feel like I’m prisoned but it just does me so good I really don’t wanna break free.

Has anything similar happened to you before and how did you deal with it?

297 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Italy
Cinquequarti says

Eh mate, we call it in Italy Ruota (Wheel). Some time ago, when the Internet was in its infancy, we have built up a home network to play “red alert”: there were three (two are members of cinquequarti) and we were locked in the room for three days without eating or sleeping … friend, enjoy your wheel ;)

200 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Gigguk says

I guess I’m the only one

11 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
FrancoEneiro says

HAHA…I just call it “work”. But yeah, you just described my life. I wouldn’t call it an addiction though. I work every day writing/mixing for six hours, I play/practice for 2 1/2 to 3. The rest of the time I work on developing my design skills. Been on this schedule for..hmm, a little bit over a year I guess. Still don’t feel like I get anything done though. Never enough time…

Half_Light_SoundStudio
Half_Light_SoundStudio Recent Posts
Threads Started
557 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
  • United States
Half_Light_SoundStudio says

My wife would say so.

576 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
Gae47 says

No, you’re not alone. For the past 1o months I’ve been doing pretty much the same except I always find time to spend with family and friends. I’ve roughly spent 2-3 hours most mornings composing at the piano, (before going to my main teaching job) then about 6 hours on most Saturdays and Sundays arranging and mixing those pieces. That’s pretty much been my life for the past 10 months. :)

It’s all been worth it though and I plan on keeping up this routine indefinitely. For me, few things beat that sense of satisfaction and pride as when you look at (and listen to) the work that you have completed over the past year.

195 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
simonleng says

Hey,don’t burn yourself out,you gotta eat and sleep. Be in for the long haul and pace yourself.

333 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
joshhunsaker says

I think for me, it’s more audio that’s been the addiction…. for a very very long time. I started pulling apart my dad’s speakers when I was like 12 years old, looking at cross-overs, trying to understand how improvements could be made, destroying amplifiers, creating line arrays of mismatched drivers, building custom baffles for speaker projects that I didn’t know at the time would never make sense to follow through on. Audio engineering and acoustics rolled into that, I was also producing and mixing, trying new speakers, comparing what I already had, sinking money into gear like it was going out of style. About four years ago I got totally lost in vintage stuff: I hit thrift stores on a daily basis, perused craigslist constantly and found deals everywhere. I probably acquired/tested/sold around 100 sets of speakers and dozens of amplifiers and receivers over the course of 2 years. Sometimes flipping gear even paid my rent, making it more addicting. I also met some very cool people (coolest was meeting one of the techs who built a number of prototype speakers for Apogee – the Apogee that makes the huge ribbon-based speakers that is).

It paid off in spades when I got a job that actually relied on my understanding of acoustics, speaker transducers, analysis and editing. It’s good to get lost in that stuff. I’ve recently got back into collecting/hunting for new gear and picked up a set of Rectilinear III Highboys and a Sherwood SEL-200 receiver for $10, a set of massive EV Sentry 500 studio monitors for $195 (came with a free 20u rack), pair of Speakercraft 6.1 LCR bookshelves for $120 (positively brilliant speakers), Def Tech BP-1X surrounds for $50 and more. I’ve been so addicted to this stuff that I’ve walked into people’s houses who do professional sound for a living and told them more about their own gear than they knew themselves. lol

196 posts
  • Exclusive Author
RomanosMusic says

I get withdrawal symptoms when I’m not writing music. Unfortunately the video production side of things, takes up most of my time, and traveling. Hopefully things cool down a bit so I can concentrate on new music.

by
by
by
by
by
by