• Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
addeystock says

As inlife said if they release a stand alone version it will be much easy to work with. ;)

5033 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Superstar
  • Community Moderator
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+6 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

The ink animation is directed by Niko Tziopanos, by the way.

Not totally sure of my facts now, but I’m pretty certain that this is one he directed while at Sehsucht a couple of years earlier. Which IIRC is made largely out of shot elements.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/41382701?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0

Pretty much a mograph classic. I suspect that the Krakatoa link in the OP is also a mixture of shot elements, possibly real fluid dynamics, and this plug-in. I prefer the blood, actually. It’s a bit more purist.

181 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Lithuania
MRMdesigns says

I’ve been using this plug-in for quite a long time, and I have to tell you – it’s just amazing. You can get some astonishing results with it. Basically what it does is renders one particle as one pixel. It’s not like Particular where you can set particle size. And because it renders particles as pixels and not as geometry is the main reason why it’s really fast. But in order to get good results, you MUST use a lot of particles. Like tens of millions for a simple element. And saving those particles to disk… well, you should have like at least 1TB of free space for serious production.

And those who say there should be a standalone version – it just won’t happen. It’s just a rendering engine, so you will still need to get the particles from somewhere. That’s where Particle Flow, Thinking Particles and Realflow comes in. Krakatoa is very well integrated with 3ds max. By the way, Thinkbox software is developing a version for Maya, too. So, more potential users.

EDIT : And yeah, I have a file in the queue (stopped at 99% :( ) and one part of it was made with Krakatoa. How cool is that! :D

5033 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Superstar
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
+6 more

I’ve been using this plug-in for quite a long time, and I have to tell you – it’s just amazing. You can get some astonishing results with it. Basically what it does is renders one particle as one pixel. It’s not like Particular where you can set particle size. And because it renders particles as pixels and not as geometry is the main reason why it’s really fast. But in order to get good results, you MUST use a lot of particles. Like tens of millions for a simple element. And saving those particles to disk… well, you should have like at least 1TB of free space for serious production.

And those who say there should be a standalone version – it just won’t happen. It’s just a rendering engine, so you will still need to get the particles from somewhere. That’s where Particle Flow, Thinking Particles and Realflow comes in. Krakatoa is very well integrated with 3ds max. By the way, Thinkbox software is developing a version for Maya, too. So, more potential users.

EDIT : And yeah, I have a file in the queue (stopped at 99% :( ) and one part of it was made with Krakatoa. How cool is that! :D

So it’s just a speedy particle renderer basically then? The particles themselves need to be generated with a third party (and compatible) system?

181 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Lithuania
MRMdesigns says

^ Yep. But it’s not basic for sure ;) Damn, I don’t even know all its features…

599 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
addeystock says

Can’t wait to see that!

44 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
simlos says

hi there,

krakatoa is a bit more than just a particle renderer. :) it calculates very fast and can handle lots of particles, it ships with some extensions for “pflow” (particle system in 3dsmax) or “thinking particles” plugin from cebas.

“pflow” and “thinking particles” are way more powerful than particular or form in simulation.

particular is primary a motion graphic “toy” and it’s very powerful for that usage.

cheers simlos

5033 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Superstar
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
+6 more

krakatoa is a bit more than just a particle renderer. :) particular is primary a motion graphic “toy”

I’d say that Particular goes a bit beyond a motion graphics toy. It’s also been very useful to me on many occasions in a visual effects context too. Sure… it needs to be the right context, but for subtle smoke, steam, fog, atmospherics, muzzle flash etc. where the particles are not center-stage for a significant period of time, it can work wonders. I mean, if you can do without fluid dynamics render times, then that’s a very attractive proposition.

So if I understand you right, Krakatoa is essentially, a renderer – i.e. it’s not capable of generating particle positions, but it adds a lot of control to the look of those particles. Is that about right?

Is it a kind of particle multiplier too? Can it for instance render 100 particles for each individual TP particle?

44 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
simlos says

@ felt_tips: yeah its nearly like that, think about lots of particles (20 million) in your viewport, at the moment no machine handles that at realtime or something near. so you work with about 20000 particles and use krakatoa to render it with lots more particles rendered as pixels.

so i often use “pflow” for particle effects within 3dsmax and last year i had a huge problem, with particles colliding a 3d object, the standart collision detection operator of pflow is very slow if you have to use it with “some” particles and animated surfaces. the solution was, krakatoa ships its own pflow operator for that effect and it feels 100x faster, i saw the calculation in nearly realtime, while the original calculates 30 seconds per frame – i guess they interpolate lots of things to gain the performance, but it works well for me.

krakatoa only renders particles and some channels like particle age, velocity etc. you cant render 3d models or scenes. for that job i use mentalray or vray and later i compose the layers in after effects.

and you are right “particular” is an very powerful tool and i enjoy to use it cause its inside of after effects. also there are so talented designers using this tool to create stunning effects – i never expected it’s possible.

1815 posts Videohive author & moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
+7 more
Mocarg Volunteer moderator says

Yea i heard!

Check out this guy: http://www.youtube.com/user/MatthiasmVideos?feature=CAQQwRs%3D

One of the best works with particles i’ve seen…

Also i took the liberty of correcting the Title of the thread :)

by
by
by
by
by
by