10 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
JohnnyOhmz says

Hello everyone! I’m a new author here and I have a long way to go and I’m sure I have plenty of mistakes to make. I would like to start working on making my first wordpress theme. Any tips or suggestions? Any experience stories would be great too! Should I maybe start with just a simple HTML site templete and work my way into WP? Also, How long did it take you to make your first theme? I would love to hear some feedback from the community! Thanx n advance everyone!

1 post
  • Located in Curaçao
SketPath says

Hello and welcome to ThemeForest! Even though I joined today as well. I hope you will enjoy ThemeForest like me and I do hope that we can at least receive tips and tricks, since I am dwelling around and wondering where to start myself…

216 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+3 more
visualkicks says

hmm well i recently had my first item go live.. about a month ago. it was a html template. today I was finally able to upload the wordpress version of it (although its still waiting approval from envato).

Since I’m pretty new as well, I don’t really have a lot to offer in terms of tips and tricks. But one thing I have noticed is that many people get rejected on there first attempt. Cause i feared I would also get rejected I just kept telling myself to make my item better and better. I couldn’t believe it was approved first go. So basically… when you think you are finished on your item… think again.. go back and make it better :) ... you can only benefit from doing this!

annnd yeah.. try not to have your item go live over a weekend. Try and give your items as much front page exposure as possible.

10 posts
JohnnyOhmz says

Thanks for the friendly advice! These are things I will keep in mind. I really don’t know enough about making a WP theme from scratch. I’m considering just starting off with making a site-templete using html/css since this is what I know. At least then I could get a feel on where I stand. I know I’m not the best by a long shot. I would be happy to be considered “fair” by the evanto team lol. I really do want to focus on growing into a WP theme developer, but I (feel like I) have such a long way to go! I would love to hear more stories about how people got started, and maybe some things you learned along the way. Especially people that don’t have a heavy background in web before doing this. Currently I’m a student for web design and development, but I’m only about half way through my degree. It would be great to produce any decent item that helped my paid my way through school… but we’ll see. Thanks again to anyone who takes the time to write back. Your experience is very valuable to all of us n00bs out here!

10 posts
JohnnyOhmz says

@jessengatai by the way… Nice theme for your first! Looks like a powerhouse for just getting started! Best of luck, and from the looks of it, it’s only up from here!

2580 posts Put a Donk On It
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+10 more
ThemeProvince says

Be original, dont copy other authors styles and dont heckle reviewers. Reviewers are your friend :)

1 post
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Russian Federation
eccosite says

jessengatai -Very nice HTML template, good luck in future work and progress! :)

by
by
by
by
by
by