4 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
GraceAmandes says

I need to get my portfolio website back up and running and I’m not a web designer by any stretch. I want a simple, clean theme that is responsive, can filter by category, and has thumbnails all on the first page. I don’t need or want to blog. I just need the portfolio front and center, contact info and an about page. I want it to be clean and easy to use with modern sans serif type.

I bought Firefly but I’m not having a lot of luck using it (I fully admit it’s probably user error). Is there another theme someone can suggest that’s super easy to use OR comes with really clear, step by step instructions? I tried doing a tutorial on Lynda but they spend all their time on creating blog posts with photos, not what I need. No posts, no comments, no video. Just my portfolio in a theme that looks good and thoughtfully designed without being completely generic.

Anyone? Thanks in advance.

By the way, I have wordpress installed and being hosted by fatcow. So it’s wordpress.org not .com.

4 posts
GraceAmandes says

Checkout intro http://themeforest.net/item/intro-responsive-portfolio-wordpress-theme/3918839

It looks interesting and simple. I like it. Are there clear instructions? I purchased a theme last night that had video tutorials. I followed the tutorials step by step and when I hit “view post” got a FILE NOT FOUND. I’m not a web designer but I’m not stupid. I can usually do just about anything that has thorough instructions (even build Ikea furniture).

I just want to make sure before I spend another $45. I’ve spent $90 already on themes I can’t seem to make work.

485 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Austria
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+1 more
iHelp says

Hi there,

every theme you can buy on themeforest works. If you cannot get it to work I’m sure it’s just a minor configuration error or an important step has been overlooked. Did you try contacting the author about this? Most authors support their themes, some have dedicated support forums or ticket systems.

If you are a beginner with WP I’d highly recommend focussing on whether a support system exists before you purchase an item. If you want awesome support for an awesome item developed by awesome people I’d recommend Avada. Not only because I work in their forum amongst others, but the theme is a no-brainer for beginners who need highly customizable looks and content. In case you’d ever need anything, come to the forum, I’m their support staff and will be at your service. (I won’t get any share if you purchase this theme or not, so it’s really just an honest opinion.)

You could still try reaching the authors of the theme you bought and see where that takes yo tho.

See you maybe, cheers!

4 posts
GraceAmandes says

Hi there,

every theme you can buy on themeforest works. If you cannot get it to work I’m sure it’s just a minor configuration error or an important step has been overlooked. Did you try contacting the author about this? Most authors support their themes, some have dedicated support forums or ticket systems.

If you are a beginner with WP I’d highly recommend focussing on whether a support system exists before you purchase an item. If you want awesome support for an awesome item developed by awesome people I’d recommend Avada. Not only because I work in their forum amongst others, but the theme is a no-brainer for beginners who need highly customizable looks and content. In case you’d ever need anything, come to the forum, I’m their support staff and will be at your service. (I won’t get any share if you purchase this theme or not, so it’s really just an honest opinion.)

You could still try reaching the authors of the theme you bought and see where that takes yo tho.

See you maybe, cheers!

Thanks. No, I haven’t contacted them. I don’t really have time to spend setting up support tickets, I just want it to work by carefully following the directions. Of course I suppose the time I’m spending here I could be contacting their support. :) I just need to get this up and running and move on to other things. Unfortunately, it’s daytime now, and I have to work on my actual work that makes money. So that’s the other thing. I’m doing this at night when I have time, which is unfortunately not when most people are around to answer questions.

332 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
CLINE123 says

If I may, I’ve bought a lot of themes here and few have been super easy to use, many have been easy and most required me knowing what I’m doing but all I figured out. I wouldn’t be so fast to buy another theme as I’m sure the Firefly theme isn’t broken and it’s probably something small you’re missing.

4 posts
GraceAmandes says

If I may, I’ve bought a lot of themes here and few have been super easy to use, many have been easy and most required me knowing what I’m doing but all I figured out. I wouldn’t be so fast to buy another theme as I’m sure the Firefly theme isn’t broken and it’s probably something small you’re missing.

I’m not suggesting the Firefly theme is broken, just that it wasn’t as easy to use as I need it to be. It didn’t have a ton of instructions, which would be fine for someone who knows more about web design but I’m not one. Honestly, if I did know web design as well as I know print design, I wouldn’t be doing my site this way at all, I’d be creating a kick-ass custom site from scratch.

It was actually a different theme I purchased that had video tutorials that didn’t end up working when I followed them to the letter. Part of that may be that the tutorials were created for an earlier version of WP so some things were no longer the same. I’m not stupid, I swear. If there are instructions for something I am very thorough about following them carefully. I literally put the video on pause and did EXACTLY what was in the video and ended up with different results.

I’m not dissing any of the themes here, or the designers or the instructions. I just want to make sure the next one I purchase has very clear, very precise instructions so I can follow them to the letter and get a simple website up and running.

by
by
by
by
by
by